FW B5 DIY! anyone??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
as for the "intact": that ship has sailed. I already took half PS out and also had holes widened to fit in three quiet Noctua fans. so the amp will be made better than the original. I am saving all the parts though if somebody is crazy enough about rebuilding "the vintage" version.

I was not planning to really venture into tooobz and do not even follow that forum, but you can PM me that goatee guy's name if you think that gear is worthy the attention and I may give it a thought down the road :rolleyes:.

and I remember you promised something for those SK1530/SJ201s as well (not that we are keeping tabs on you :cool:; you already are our Papa Clause)

I have talked about this in the past, but now, with the diy vfet finished and the F5, dont know if an amp with the sk/sj would be wise paired with the vfet and the coming B5 xover.
I want/need to sell the F5 but maybe thats not a good choice. Dont know what the sk amp is going to be and when it will arrive? Dont want to be rude for asking. Thank you Mr. Pass. Have a great 2018.

naah you didn't. (and neither did we :hypno1:)

you just have to stop trying to make those LXMinis better and accept that they are hopeless :rofl:.

I was explaining to Zen Mod in a private conversation how those are killing me. when cranked up they create space impeccably, but as far as the sensitivity and low level resolution which would allow for our smaller, flavored amps to make a contribution, they ARE hopeless. thus I only use them as #!@&:headbash: reference for dispersion goals in speaker design. If SL was a bit more accommodating and tried to design something for our forum's amps that would be the end game.

bothering Papa with LXMini question

Papa, if you ever find this question (buried in this thread):

re: the LXMini Xover: for the analog version you put together and tested I imagine you got rid of that correction way up in freq for which SL sacrificed a lot of gain, and it is not audible? I am pretty sure I could never hear that FR break up mode but was too lazy (or busy) to remove that Xover spike and to test it on the younger folks' hearing.

I assume you tried an array of lower wattage amps on the mid/high driver? and what do you think sounds good? (I use miniDSP 2x10Hd and bal/unbal outputs are both available).

there is a chance that after I reshuffle my gear, my BA-3b mono blocks could become available to drive the LXMini bottom, and I am wondering what I could use on the top to excel in the mid range. I could put my Aleph30 back together? or would something like a BA-2 be better? (currently, I am ashamed to report, I use Emotiva xpa-5 top to bottom).

Distortion-wise I never tried to biamp with something that has different distortion signatures. Should one strive for similar? like all push pulls or ..?crossing around 700Hz is a bit unusual and I wonder about amps compatibility.

I thought I would ask as you seem to have been using these little suckers (and so do I on and off). Thanks a ton :)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1) I chose not to chase the high Q peaks and dips above 10K first because
I don't like high Q equalization sonically and I did not want the additional
circuit complexity. After it was built, SL actually measured the acoustic
response of the Lx-mini with DSP vs the analog unit, and found that the
response above 10K was smoother with the analog unit. He attributed it
possibly to variations in drivers, to which I add the possibility that the peaks
and dips were dependent on the exact positioning of the microphone.

2) I have ascertained to my satisfaction that a 25 watt amplifier is adequate
for a decent level on the mid/top and 75+ watts for the bottom. The tests
were done in SL's system using the Telarc CD of the cannon shots on the
1812 overture.

3,4) I don't know. You probably want to just try different things and see what
works for you.

2) I have ascertained to my satisfaction that a 25 watt amplifier is adequate
for a decent level on the mid/top and 75+ watts for the bottom. The tests
were done in SL's system using the Telarc CD of the cannon shots on the
1812 overture.

Yipes! Would not have occurred to me to try that particular test on the minis.

Maybe I should start thinking of them as "girl & guitar ... & cannon" speakers.

Greedy Boyz percentage is most of them.

I did consider 100 pair of beasts, but mostly amp front ends, preamps,
crossovers, and equalizers.

Since there is speculation as to which parts, they are spread among 10 types,
P and N, with Idss figures from 5 mA to 100 mA. Minority % are NOS already,
probably all NOS before too long.

:umbrella:

Will the offerings be on passdiy.com? Matched front end jfets would be awesome. A beast kit would be equally awesome. No protection nor limiting would be needed.

If you offered chassis+heatsinks, the awesomeness would be awesomer.

My list of amps to build this year include one or more beasts, BA3 preamp, Aleph J. I have at least one preamp chassis that could be gutted to house the BA3 preamp.

The speaker project will be a line source with 4 x 5 1/4 mid-woofs and the 24" ribbon. Bi-amping this cabinet with an amp on woofers is the plan. Passive crossovers are for people who do not own enough amplifiers.

Papa is never slacking. this test apparently took place over at SL's; I assume the street was just too much of a hike to pull the real cannons over from Papa's end, else he would have brought real guns to the test :D.

THANKS for the info!!

re: that peak it is pretty much what I expected. SL had it on his site smtg like "SEAS is quality and I will throw this narrow band correction in assuming all drivers are the same...". Now I feel silly that I did not remove it from the file. At the same time I feel the itch coming to slap my Aleph30 back together, only this time probably with no fan so a new case will be in order. The only issue is that I have sooo many things to do before that :violin:.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Will the offerings be on passdiy.com? Matched front end jfets would be awesome. A beast kit would be equally awesome. No protection nor limiting would be needed.

If you offered chassis+heatsinks, the awesomeness would be awesomer.

I plan a a bunch of offerings this year, just as soon as I finish moving my
mountains of precious parts (aka crap) to new locations.

Next week. :p

This is the Thing of the year for me. Have 4xeminence 15" and 2 markaudio 10 in a pureaudio style OB waiting for the B5. Also the Diy Vfet mono blocks and F5 completed. And the toshibas waiting to see a good amp to build for bi-amping the pureaudio. So, hibernation process ongoing. I will awake march or april this year...i hope :D yes, im begging! Just kidding. Thanks to Mr pass and all his eforts to make us happy like children in the park!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.