FW B5 DIY! anyone??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
> I have brought 250,000 Jfets into inventory .....

Say it takes 1 minute to measure Idss and label / sort one of them.
And assume 40 hour week, 2 weeks holiday a year, no illness, ..... etc.
That will take a touch more than 2 year for one operator.
Unless of course you are already fully automated & computerised.

:)

Merry Christmas,
Patrick

Hello Mr. Pass,

I am the happy owner of a B4 crossover. I replaced the supplied power supply with a lab grade linear power supply which provide a noticeable improvement. I was looking forward to building one of your diy crossovers without switches. I noticed in an earlier post that you were planning on using an external power supply with all the versions of the crossovers. I imagine that you were planning on the same switching supply as the B4. Is it possible for you to design a linear supply to go with your diy crossovers? I think it would be a worthy improvement.

Thank you for all your help to us diyers.

It seems to me that a linear power supply design for the First Watt B4/B5 or the DIY versions that are coming is something that we can do here as a group.

There are going to be a lot of DIYers that make Nelson's active crossovers. Some will want to try a good integrated linear supply.

In the shower, I've been thinking about a choke loaded PSU with a Salas low voltage shunt regulator. But there are plenty of other possible approaches too.

What if I could combine all of these unique colors together to create a beautiful canvas of masterpiece.

wow, finally somebody struck the topic of multi-amping with DIY FW amps.

I remember when yeears back Papa lamented after small Aleph experience that it seemed like it was not possible to get both that warm midrange presentation and the tight bass control at the same time. So he ended up biamping with an F5/F3 combo for a while. Then he spent the next 10-15 years trying for a best all around i.e. compromise design and many nice flavors came about.

In my experience one of those could be made to work if matched with the right speaker, but still only for certain kinds of music.

The ultimate result though IMHO lies in multi-amping with different flavor amps 3 way OB speakers.

@Papa: I assume these specs:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/310169-m2-story-3.html#post5155039
will belong to this amp:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/215392-amp-camp-amp-aca-354.html#post5246144
if I connected the dots right. i will be waiting ....:D

and I remember you promised something for those SK1530/SJ201s as well (not that we are keeping tabs on you :cool:; you already are our Papa Clause)

Last edited:
and on the separate subject of EQ:

Lately, and ONLY because the recording practices $uck!!, I started getting dirty thoughts of the old fashioned EQing (like Japanese amps in the 80s). so if there was a low noise solution I might be all ears. Ideally the circuit would protect for adding digital controls where a number of memorized settings could be switched by a remote. Just some more of my brain farts...

@ZenMod
you are right, Papa always makes a point of saying the different flavor amps entertain him.

p.s I was already writing my next post as i am down with a flu and venting some of my audio frustrations. and I am supposed to be in a good mood since I landed a D150 Audio Research amp in mint condition (pretty good for a guy with zilch tooob experience ha..:D). I took it apart to change the electrolytics and the fans and will make a thread in the other forum in the coming months or so.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
- you're obviously listening to wrong types of music ........ those genres I'm listening - either do not suffer from bad recording practice or ...... I simply don't care ....... software is what counts :)

(now seriously - modern junk badly recorded is outa game , older recordings being bad from historic reasons ...... there I don't care for that - Caruso , 8 CDs , orioginal being from wax candles, wax cylinders , bees ,shellac , whatever :) )

D150 - best of luck with that piece of overambitious junk

edit - made some capacitor changing Voodoo , sell it and buy some toob stuff from that Goatee Italian-named funny guy ..... he's vane and unique , but with bloody reason :rofl:

Last edited:
yeah i have a similar take on D150. a friend of mine bought it dirt cheap at an auction and offered a trade for a piece of equipment I did not need, so I could not resist.

the problem is it will cost me just to try it for a while in my system as I am having a custom dolly made to be able to move the monster around the room; then a new larger TV stand to fit the amp in; already bought new Vishay caps for $300 etc. and so the saga continues. I would have been better off selling it in the original vintage condition to some collector I guess, but decided to try tube for once and then go back to working on my Pass pyramids :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.