A First Watt Car Amp!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I'm building a sound quality car audio amp to compete.
I've build several First Watt amps( F1-F5) and was wondering what would be the easiest 8 channel amp for car audio? Given the fact that I will start with 12 volts and have to come up with a neat cooling scheme. I'm a kit builder not a Pro.

I think adason's point is that the acoustics are so bad in most cars that it is a waste of effort for most people. I guess if you own a super quiet car like a Rolls it might work. Otherwise any benefit gAined would be destroyed by road & engine noise.

The best car audio I ever heard was my beefy Alpine system played through a pair of a/d/s 300c mounted in the footwell of my VW Rabbit diesel. It sounded great, but the subtlties of class A would have been a waste.

It lasted for a couple of months until it was ripped off one Saturday while at work. :( Luckily the thief was too stupid to know what the speakers were. :D

“…my VW Rabbit diesel. It sounded great…” ≠ “Sound quality and car is oxymoron(ic)...”

Why not? It's simply one example.

I agree with res07njc. If it makes you happy to explore your passion go for it!

However, no matter what you do or what car you put it in, or how much money you spend, it'll never come close to something like a properly set up FirstWatt J2 in a living room. (Unless maybe you're parked with the motor off in the wilderness. :D

Last edited:
Why not? It's simply one example.

One example disproves the thesis, doesn't it?

The concepts are either mutually exclusive or they’re not.

WBS said:
I agree with res07njc. If it makes you happy to explore your passion go for it!

I am not the OP. I chimed in because I found the response to the initial query to be gratuitous and counterfactual. Passion and curiosity ought to be encouraged, I believe.

WBS said:
However, no matter what you do or what car you put it in, or how much money you spend, it'll never come close to something like a properly set up FirstWatt J2 in a living room. (Unless maybe you're parked with the motor off in the wilderness. :D

I am guessing we all agree on this.

Again, you missed the point. My example implied it sounded great for what it was, a car stereo, not a high end audio system.

Whether someone chooses to be pedantic or not doesn't change the fact that an automobile is a sub optimal environment in which to appreciate the benefits of Class A operation. :)

I got out of car audio a long time ago but this year at the DIY Audio competition in Dayton
I went out back and heard some amazing car audio all DSPed.
I too was thinking a car system was not the ideal environment but man I was proved wrong!

Well, be sure to keep us posted on which direction you take and how it works out.

I actually recall recently seeing a thread that mentioned using the MoFo for car audio. :)

Again, you missed the point. My example implied it sounded great for what it was, a car stereo, not a high end audio system.

Whether someone chooses to be pedantic or not doesn't change the fact that an automobile is a sub optimal environment in which to appreciate the benefits of Class A operation. :)

I got your points.
You believe that car stereos don’t sound as good high-end home stereos, and that cars are not the optimal place to enjoy all of the benefits conferred by Class A amplification.

These points are strawmen.

No one has suggested that a car is optimal for sound quality. The OP said he wanted a car with good SQ. He likely believed that readers of the thread would understand the context of the question, i.e., that the stereo would be in a car and not a home, and that the resulting constraints would be understood.

A bit sad that using standard definitions is described as “pedantic” – sign of the times, I suppose.

In any case, this thread is sufficiently soiled – apologies to the OP to the extent I contributed. I hope someone who can help you with your project will respond.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.