Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Questions about amp camp amp and linear power supply
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2017, 02:30 PM   #1
Jonse is offline Jonse  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Questions about amp camp amp and linear power supply

Hi,

I'm in the process of building some open baffle speakers with a 12" coaxial with 97db sensitivity and 1" compression driver with 109db sensitivity. Active crossovers and eq will be done with a miniDSP 4x10HD. I'm really interested in building my own amplifiers, but I don't have any experience with it. I am tempted to try the amp camp amp. Will 6 watts be enough for midrange and tweeter with that high sensitivity and in a 25 square meter room?

I'll also be using 15" woofers for 150Hz and down, but I have amps for those.

I was also wondering if anyone has heard the ACA with both linear power supply and with the laptop power supply? If I'm going to build this, I think I want to try a linear power supply if there is much to gain in sound quality from doing this. Is there any build guides for linear power supply for 240V AC?

Thanks!
Old 29th November 2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Ralph G is offline Ralph G  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

With speakers this sensitive, you won't need 6 Watt. With 1 Watt you can blow out your windows

But you will need a very, very quiet amp. I don't know the ACA, but I do know the Aleph (comparable in a couple of ways). This Aleph is not that critical.

I'm always fond of a standard CRC. About 10mf per ampere and burn a few percent of the voltage in the resistor. If you can get everything at surplus prices, such a linear supply is also cheap.
Old 29th November 2017, 02:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I actually know which parts I need for the power supply, because a ACA diy'er posted his shopping list on another forum But I don't know exactly how everything is supposed to be connected. Do you know any good guides for this?
Old 29th November 2017, 05:11 PM   #4
Ralph G is offline Ralph G  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Jonse, there is a lot of info the find on the firstwatt.com website. Do you want a standard capacitor type? Take a look on the Zen. Do you want it regulated? Take a look at Zen Variations 3.

You want CRC? Most of the normal Firstwatt and Pass amps use this.
Old 29th November 2017, 05:27 PM   #5
vdi_nenna is offline vdi_nenna  United States
diyAudio Member

Questions about amp camp amp and linear power supply Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Quote:
Will 6 watts be enough for midrange and tweeter with that high sensitivity and in a 25 square meter room
In normal rooms 6w this is plenty for tweeter and mid, but in a 25m^2 room, I'm not too sure. I use the ACA on 86db efficient speakers in a small area, say, 5m x 15m area and it's fine. Then again I don't need it to be ultra loud.

I built the ACA with linear ~19v supply and it sound just great. I can't say enough good things about it.

I have not heard the ACA with a SMPS. I'm sure if you use a well made SMPS, it will sound great too.

ACA illustrated build guide

Vince
Old 29th November 2017, 05:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Questions about amp camp amp and linear power supply Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aca-01-sm.jpg (146.7 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg aca-02-sm.jpg (131.0 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg aca-05-sm.jpg (112.2 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg aca-08-sm.jpg (131.2 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg aca-09-sm.jpg (375.3 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg aca-10-sm.jpg (137.7 KB, 152 views)
Old 30th November 2017, 08:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
Some pics.
Great build, looks good! How does the sound quality compare to a integrated/power amps you've had before? Nelson Pass mentions that this amp isn't designed for the best possible sound quality but for easy build. So I'm wondering if I'm better off just buying a cheap power amp like the Topping TP60, Dayton Audio APA150 or something similar.

I see now that the plans for ACA 1.1 is going to be released soon, so I may just wait and build that one instead.
Old 30th November 2017, 08:55 AM   #8
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

and , when you realize that those are designed for easy and quick buck ?

Old 30th November 2017, 09:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
and , when you realize that those are designed for easy and quick buck ?

Then I will probably regret not building the ACA So I guess I'll just skip that and build the ACA!
Old 30th November 2017, 11:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have a class D amp and chip amp. Fun for 1 hour, then they get irritating. The ACA is not only an amp for builders that need training wheels, but also an elegant amp that has an interesting output stage and holds its own again anything. I would think a person who likes tube amps would also like the ACA. Very smooth. Somehow has amazing bass.

The aca 1.1 is just a slightly upgraded aca. R15 was added and R12 was changed. That info is in the thread.

You could wait for aca 2.0. That's a bit more differrnt, with more power capability, I believe.

Last edited by vdi_nenna; 30th November 2017 at 11:49 AM.

Questions about amp camp amp and linear power supplyHide this!Advertise here!