XSOZ/Complementary Zen heat sinking question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all-

I have been wanting to build a Zen amp for quite some time and have finally decided that I must... but I am on a very limited budget (under $200 for everything).

I was originally going to build the original Zen or Zen revisited, but then thought maybe Zen v2 or Penultimate Zen (since it has PCB and Q-Pack). But, buying the PCB and Q-Pack would not be allowed in my budget. Besides, I really don't want any electrolytic caps in the circuit (and if there have to be any, not large value caps at the output). I realize that electrolytic caps are not horrible, but it is my personal preference not to have them.

I would really like to build the XSOZ or Complentary Zen, but both are fairly inefficient little amps and require dual voltage rails (again, more heat sinking and cost...).

I love the looks of the amps I see on here that are over heat sinked but cannot afford to make something like that. I need adequate heat sinking but cannot afford to be over flashy about it.

I guess I would really like to do the XSOZ with a CCS, but I cannot afford to cool all of the heat wasted by this thing. With the power resistors and three MOSFETs, I would run out of money really quick. So, I suppose that leaves my only alternative being the Complementary Zen.

If I were to build a Complementary Zen and wanted about 10 watts output, what kind of supply should I be running? +/- 30V or so? What bias? Would this still be pure Class A or would there be switching noise? DOes anyone see a way for me to be able to build a XSOZ on a budget?

Lastly, I am in desparate need of heatsinks for this project regardless of which amp I build. I will need massive heatsinks that generally cost a fortune, and I definitely don't have that much to spend. I have tried searching for surplus stores, but haven't had very much luck (a little, but nothing amazing).Does anyone know where I could find some really good heatsinks that would allow me to build the XSOZ or Complementary Zen without worrying about the heat? Perhaps does anyone have any heatsinks like this that they could let go for a decent price?

Thanks to everyone for their help. :)

See the Aleph and constant CS X ZEN thread ,the amp is rated at 1.3 Amps par side, total stereo 5.5 amps .
The heat sinks costs me around 60euro and they run at 38° celsius , of course the compleet project exceed the 200 dollars budget, but not that much.
The amp is 33% efficient , and I think it deliver at least 20 (very) good watts.

If you approach the complementary Zen , you will need some regulators and clean up the dc as the circuit will not have a high PSRR .

But after all , if you are able to made a P2P wiring or your own pcb, the budget amp would be a Zen V2/4 rated at 1.3 amps ;
It does not need very large heat sinks and has a good PSRR ... and being 50% efficient it deliver good output power.

Edit:
You may transform the ZenV2 into an aleph and avoid output capacitors.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

stefanobilliani -

Thanks for your suggestion on the Aleph CCS XSOZ.... I like the design and may go with that for my build. With your configuration (running at 38V, 1.3A bias), how many watts does it put out? I am using fairly efficient speakers, but not the most efficient (93dB), so I would like at least 10W.

batee-

Your link didn't show up. I'll try searching around your main page to get to that area... but do you have another link in case?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.