iron core or toroidal for Stasis 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ZenMod, the schematic doesn’t specify Rail voltages. What should they be?

I ordered vintage fuse holders to match the original, going for a restoration, at least on the outside. The rail wiring needs to be replaced too. What gauge? Is premium wire needed or just something to withstand 40-50C?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZenMod, the schematic doesn’t specify Rail voltages. What should they be?

I ordered vintage fuse holders to match the original, going for a restoration, at least on the outside. The rail wiring needs to be replaced too. What gauge? Is premium wire needed or just something to withstand 40-50C?

rail voltage - I'm pretty sure you can measure what's there now and post , so we can think of it
I'm not seeing value on schematics I have , but will try to read some papers
you can try them also , just see Papa related links in my signature

rail wiring - thicker , the better ; sometimes eyelets or pads (drills) are limiting factor , so use what you can squeeze in

The Stasis 3 is working. I got it at a big discount because a P.O. had removed the Rail and Output fuseholders. He had already increased ps capacitance, replace other electrolytics, and installed multi-turn pots. For phase 1, my goal was simply to fix the bad wiring and bad soldering. I restored the 4 missing fuse holders, and replaced the ps wiring with 14 gauge hi temp automotive wire. I twisted up 16 gu for runs to the speaker terms. I put in plenum grade CAT 5 twisted pairs for inputs. And finally I set the heat sink temp to 40-45 degrees C. WOW!!! Such clarity!

I might open it up later and do a phase 2: replace the carbon comp emitter resistors with metal film ones, and put in soft-recovery FRED diodes, and better, brand-name filter caps with bypasses. What do you think about audiophile wire for these very short runs inside the amp?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
........ What do you think about audiophile wire for these very short runs inside the amp?

nothing

Should I replace all of the 37 year old power transistors for some reason?

transistors are OK , if they aren't broken

if you have a way to measure temp of (each) transistor case vs. heatsink right to transistor , and if temp. diff. is under 10C , you don't even need to check tightness of bolts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.