Most Greedy Boy, of them all... or (there is no) DEFiSIT of Papa's Koans

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
1. which buffer - having 5R Rout?

yes, Rdc of windings is having some influence on Rout

2.term repeater is from telephony , ancient , and it is mostly xformer used for galvanic isolation , so no autoformer as here ; so - this is not repeater
I believe you don't need compensation cell for autoformer , but one can be sure only after observing voltage transfer in freq. domain and square waves shape

1. which buffer - having 5R Rout?

yes, Rdc of windings is having some influence on Rout

2.term repeater is from telephony , ancient , and it is mostly xformer used for galvanic isolation , so no autoformer as here ; so - this is not repeater
I believe you don't need compensation cell for autoformer , but one can be sure only after observing voltage transfer in freq. domain and square waves shape

A have a simple BJT emitterfollower...I have tried JFET follower, but they dont go so low...

Ok, so the driving part of the trafos Rdc is perhaps transformed with ratio and the rest is direct in series with output?

The Rdc is: 9R2, 9R2, 9R5 and 9R5.

If the first 9R2 is transformed with the buffer output the calcualtion is like this:

1:4=((5R+9R2)x16)+(9R2+9R5+9R5)=255R
1:8=((5R+9R2)x64)+(9R2+9R5+9R5)=937R

The first is close...the second at bit high....

Last edited:
Hi cwtim, please switch in your curvetracer picture from the SK180 the "load conditions" button for me so I can see the real conditions you used.
The conditions shown are possible not the ones necessary for a measurement.

Please for me, I want to measure some parts from my basement too.....

:D:D

Thanks generg, please ignore the conditions you saw on the screenshot. My tracer was dead since a long time, and I only used the GUI client to open the data file for viewing the measurements before.

Those are Id_vs_Vgs curves with a fixed Vds of 20V. I had lots of 2SK180 at some point (mostly sold now), so those measurements were just a quick way to do coarse Vp matching.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks generg, please ignore the conditions you saw on the screenshot. My tracer was dead since a long time, and I only used the GUI client to open the data file for viewing the measurements before.

Those are Id_vs_Vgs curves with a fixed Vds of 20V. I had lots of 2SK180 at some point (mostly sold now), so those measurements were just a quick way to do coarse Vp matching.

Thank you cwtim01!

The DEFiSIT output stage works :D, and it's fun to watch as things just adjust themselves automatically to stablize, and no bias circuit is required (OK, there is still a 100k resistor for the Vgs, plus 2 gate stopper resistors)

I use 2SK180D+IRF9240, put them across a -48V single ended power supply, and the bias is mostly defined by the IRF9240, while the Vds across the 2SK180D will change to match the current of the IRF9240.

The IRF9240 gives Id of 1.3A @Vgs=-3.9V, and at that Vgs the 2SK180D needs about 27V Vds to give 1.3A, leaving 21V to the IRF9240, hence output cap is definitely required.

The sine output looks pretty clean, but I got some ringing with square wave, probably the 330R gate stoppers needs to be higher.

Attachments

• DEFiSIT sine_out.png
    DEFiSIT sine_out.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 497
  • DEFiSIT square_out.png
    DEFiSIT square_out.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 509
  • DEFiSIT 2SK180_IRF9240.jpg
    DEFiSIT 2SK180_IRF9240.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 486
  • DEFiSIT Test.PNG
    DEFiSIT Test.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes the problem was that the Vgs in the curve tracer is stolen from the available max. Voltage of the device.
So the upper range of the curves got another slope than the beginning.
Reducing from 20 to 16V made the slope more equal.
I will drive the circuit with 35V, so I thought 16V for the SIT is near the half.

:--))

I will drive the circuit with 35V, so I thought 16V for the SIT is near the half.

In that case the 2 devices with higher Vgs are best.

But then, there is a way described here, which overcomes the differences and offer much more freedom.

By the way, when my Lockyz was still alive, I often controlled the Vgs via a 9V battery and 10k pot, this will leave much more voltage headroom for the measurements.