Most Greedy Boy, of them all... or (there is no) DEFiSIT of Papa's Koans

did something .... though no way that I can wrap my head about that , at least not in this moment

it'll work , at least semi-decent , as this :

though , there must be more elegant ways ( and we know there are , even if I can't remember where they're posted :rofl:

Hi Zen Mod and all.

The attached schematic is today's Best DEF amp on the bench. I hope that it complements the objective results you already found from running the .asc file which is attached to the parent post.

1. PNP [2N3906] operates in the Common Base configuration. Its Vbe 'samples' Vgs of P-MOSFET. The magnitude of Vgs inherently controls or [reflects] the magnitude/value of its drain current. The fate of this drain current of P-MOSFET becomes/is part of the current which flows through the loudspeaker load.

2. Thus PNP via its [varying] Vbe senses current flowing through the load.

3. The collector current of PNP [Ic] is separately controlled by its Vbe.

4. Thus the magnitude of [Ic] of PNP is related/proportional to the current flowing through the load.

5. PNP does not invert the phase of the signal at its emitter [same as phase as that at Vout]. It also has Power Gain.

6. The power gain of PNP enables the bootstrapping of [Vin]. The output signal at its collector [Vin'] is in phase with the CD player's input signal [Vin]. [Vin'] pushes back against [Vin] such that the load presented to [Vin] becomes higher than it is.

7. The power gain of PNP enables Positive Current Feedback [PCF]. This is manifested by [Vin'] having a larger magnitude than that of [Vin].

8. Can get bootstrapping with a capacitor between Vout and Vin [per Mr. Pass]. But it cannot grant this amp PCF [no gain from cap] which is the forte of this circuit using PNP.

9. PCF intrigues us. Mr. Pass uses it in F7 which delivers great sound. He also teaches the value of PCF in his patent US 4,899,387. A device to manage and eradicate standing waves which populate the listening space and are concentrated in its corners.

10. Based on point #9, the loudspeaker load [ADS L730] of this system sits in a convenient corner of the listening room. It is used as a sound generator and a suppressor of standing waves.

11. I sit [~ 28 feet away] and listen to its [plenty] sound at the opposing corner. This system generates superb sound. A deep and articulated base [no/negligible mud] plus high detail throughout the spectrum. This is a consequence of the power and value of DEF-PCF in my musical experience.

Best

Anton

Attachments

• DEFFour.png
    DEFFour.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 679
One more detail...

Hi Zen Mod and All. The attached schematic completes the aforementioned application. Here are its new details:

1. Please ignore my unusual PSU for this DEF amp. I'll revert to the original standard fixed conditions taught by Mr. Pass.

2. I partitioned the emitter resistor of PNP [1.45K] which I showed in the previous post into 4 others. They must add up to 1.45K so as to keep the parent idle conditions for sonic comparison.

3. This action allows for "increasing' the power gain of PNP and thus increasing the extent of its Positive Current Feedback [PCF] as mirrored by the magnitude of [Vin'], and possibly further bootstrapping the input signal [Vin].

4. The capacitor [220uF] shorts the music signal which develops across one or two out of the three [470 Ohm] resistors as shown by using the [Switch]. This increases the gain of PNP; but without affecting its biasing scheme and that of DEF.

5. My loudspeaker [ADS L730] is a 3-way. Its woofer crosses into the next driver at ~700 Hz. AC-shorting only one 470 Ohm emitter resistor gives this system great sound without loss of sound pressure.

6. AC-shorting [simply move cap on proto-board] two out of the three 470 Ohm emitter resistors of PNP reduced [noticeably] sound pressure. Too much of the good PCF in my system is bad. It affects the woofer which happens to carry more valuable musical information outside its "woofing" 30 to 100 Hz. range. It could have overly suppressed the normal flow of the input signal [Vin].

7. Point # 6 shouts clearly. PNP generates PCF and has valuable sonics. I believe that the proper extent of PCF in my application [via experimentation and Spice] also alleviates the listening space from the ill-effects of standing waves. . By the way, there is absolutely no reason not to relocate my loudspeaker anywhere else in the listening space.

Best
Anton

Attachments

• DEFFour1.png
    DEFFour1.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 610
Mea Culpa for my mistake..

Hi Zen Mod and All,

I apologize for this error in the schematic of my last post. I have failed to notice the destination of the input coupling capacitor [220 uF] for a while now. Thus, my explanation of the working of its circuit are now suspect and need to be re-interpreted.

The correct schematic is attached. Please note that the input coupling capacitor at [Vin] went directly to P-MOSFET, and not to the input of R085 as taught by Mr. Pass. This is the arrangement which gave me the subjective performance I reported. Its observations are still good.

NB. I made the same error as above in the schematic I posted in the DEF thread in my last and recent reply to generg. My apology again.I'll clean it up...

Best

Anton

Attachments

• DEFFour2.png
    DEFFour2.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 579
just take care of fact that your arrangement is perfectly good for your wakoo ways of modulating that output stage , while for more usual ways (buffer in autoformer ) , input impedance of OS is important thing

Thanks ZM for your advice. My posts have strayed [unfortunately] from the core and parent themes of the threads which discuss DEF, DEFiSIT, and Most ..Koans etc. threads. I will park future circuits of these hot topics as their applications in the Class aP amplification thread.

Best wishes
Anton

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no need for that (re-parking somewhere else)..... more we brainstorm (anywhere) , better for Greedy Boyz , not mentioning benefits for actual brains involved :)

besides , as you can see , I'm pretty much etalon for bad ideas throwing around , so whatever you post , you're automatically clever

:clown:

no need for that (re-parking somewhere else)..... more we brainstorm (anywhere) , better for Greedy Boyz , not mentioning benefits for actual brains involved :)

besides , as you can see , I'm pretty much etalon for bad ideas throwing around , so whatever you post , you're automatically clever

Hi ZM. Thanks for your encouraging post. I'll stay on the [fun] path of my old posting practices. But I'll be more vigilant and focused for everybody's sake..

Best
Anton

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
as I already wrote somewhere , had them yesterday on the bench , to check Vgs needed for 1A, 1A5 , 1A8, 2A

didn't bother with exactly temp. controlled conditions , more was interested in range of Ugs and , of course , confirmation that my Buddy didn't got duds :)

so , I'm gonna squeeze that optocoupler in-between the gates of big bad one and wimpy mosfet

Attachments

• WP_20180805_20_22_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180805_20_22_57_Pro.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 452
  • WP_20180805_20_23_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180805_20_23_04_Pro.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 434
  • WP_20180805_20_23_09_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180805_20_23_09_Pro.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 964
  • WP_20180731_10_49_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180731_10_49_26_Pro.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 196
as I already wrote somewhere , had them yesterday on the bench , to check Vgs needed for 1A, 1A5 , 1A8, 2A

didn't bother with exactly temp. controlled conditions , more was interested in range of Ugs and , of course , confirmation that my Buddy didn't got duds :)

so , I'm gonna squeeze that optocoupler in-between the gates of big bad one and wimpy mosfet

Hi ZM, What is your target current and supply voltage?

DEFiSIT taste without Source R

I did some trick after Nelson's confirming and Claudio52's explanation.

Anyway, it seems to work, and I like the sound that feels more true to the music with finer details.

I am sure there are DIYers of my kind who has limited skill. But I enjoy what I can do. This way I can just replace 2Sk82 with THF-51 or other SIT and adjust the Iq and Vgs.. :D:D

Until the time when Zen Mod or others give something easy for me to read and build, I think I can play with this one. :)

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20180807_175510945.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20180807_175510945.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 584
  • KakaoTalk_20180807_175511731.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20180807_175511731.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 605
  • wo source r.jpg
    wo source r.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 609
Here is a circuit that should allow one to adjust for Vgs mismatches between the SIT and the PFET without using source resistors. It does not attempt to change the transconductances of either FET. (I also posted this in the DEF Amp thread #320).

Attachments

• Gerd-LHQ-DEFiSIT-2b3a2.asc.jpg
    Gerd-LHQ-DEFiSIT-2b3a2.asc.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 614
Here is a circuit that should allow one to adjust for Vgs mismatches between the SIT and the PFET without using source resistors. It does not attempt to change the transconductances of either FET. (I also posted this in the DEF Amp thread #320).

I am collecting the parts for your circuit. Thank you again Lynn. As I remember, you already tried this. :)

Can I use the "LINEAR SYSTEMS MATCHED LSJ74/LSK170 JFET PAIRS (GRADE B)" from the diyaudio strore?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
SUFI-SIT resolved ........ kind of

I had a dream ............ no , wrong start :rofl:

I had a big dilemma last night - trying to nest THF51-S in SEF amp concept , where upper part is having source resistors and optocoupler (biasing main device ) is fed on them ........ or to nest it in Babelfish M25 concept , so no source resistors and where optocoupler is fed from Hall current sensing chips in rails

first one is having lesser THD , accordining to sims ;

second one is having greater THD, again according to sims , but higher level of purity , rawness , call it whatever you want ..... sans source resistors it is closer to Papa's most wakoo one - DEFiSIT amp

so , this morning decided to try it thrown in Babelfish M25 cradle ......

Attachments

• WP_20180807_19_42_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180807_19_42_20_Pro.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 11,107
  • WP_20180807_19_41_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180807_19_41_51_Pro.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 11,056
  • WP_20180807_19_41_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180807_19_41_35_Pro.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 11,121
  • WP_20180807_19_41_20_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180807_19_41_20_Pro.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 11,146
  • WP_20180807_18_07_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180807_18_07_00_Pro.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 11,163
  • WP_20180807_18_06_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180807_18_06_56_Pro.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 11,392
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
little trouble , who could expect that :rofl: ........ sims aren't so precise regarding biasing network resistor values (few important factors missing in models , most important of them being gate leakage current)

so , had to heavily alter some resistor values - against values predicted by dummy sims made by even dumber operator , but solved it ;)

I'm pretty satisfied , THF51-S not exactly being PapaSIT (read - made for sissy audio purposes) , but real tough welding drek

Attachments

• SUFI-SIT 1W 4R.png
    SUFI-SIT 1W 4R.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 210
  • SUFI-SIT 1W 8R.png
    SUFI-SIT 1W 8R.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 159
  • SUFI-SIT 10W 4R.png
    SUFI-SIT 10W 4R.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 134
  • SUFI-SIT 10W 8R.png
    SUFI-SIT 10W 8R.png