Most Greedy Boy, of them all... or (there is no) DEFiSIT of Papa's Koans

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
just for fun

is this one good enough for (some ) DEFiSIT , two channels ?

:clown:

Attachments

• WP_20180725_19_34_04_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180725_19_34_04_Pro.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 385
  • WP_20180725_19_34_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180725_19_34_12_Pro.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 383
I am unsure if the attached schematic helps this discussion. I used one like it while experimenting with DEF. I do not recall reporting it; possibly because I thought it was not simple. In this example, it pertains to the condition when a large absolute difference between the Vgs of a certain R085 [or better yet SIT=2SK82] and that of IRFP9140 existed. In this schematic the example Vgs for NJF/SIT = -8V, and that of IRF9140 = -3.7 V

NPN in a common base configuration allows the input AC signal to reach the gate of the P-MOSFET in phase with it and especially not hindered [otherwise] by a large [biasing] resistor in series with its input capacitance [upsets its high frequency response].

I am unsure about possible positive/negative feedback due to this. The output signal is routed to the base of NPN/gate of P-MOSFET. It thus re-appears at the emitter of NPN in phase with the input AC signal to possibly bootstrap it. Can give NPN a bit of gain!.

The above approach is applicable to the pair 2SJ28 [SIT] and IRFP140; but with a PNP etc.

Best
Anton

Attachments

• DEF14CommonBasebias.png
    DEF14CommonBasebias.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 336
Thanks generg and Zen Mod for your replies. The attached is a concept schematic to use when a large absolute difference exists between the Vgs of a power N-JFET or V-Fet [for example 2SK82] and that of a power P-MOSFET in DEF and DEFiSIT.

The example shows a typical difference of 5 Vdc. It can readily be a larger difference in a DEFiSIT which uses a low idle current [e.g. 0.2A]; for example in a headphone application or a follower for a low power OpAmp. It follows that the value of the example [R3 =5K] will be larger.

N-JFET or SIT is a follower in its own right. Capacitor [ C1=220uF] at its source node uses the resultant in-phase output signal [Vout] to route it directly to the gate of P-MOSFET. Thus [Vin] as the new replica [Vout] essentially bypasses the high-valued resistors of the biasing string of DEFiSIT and DEF.

The aforementioned high-value biasing resistors maybe implicated [a legit or not reasoning] in degrading the high frequency performance of P-MOSFET. In the absence of the output coupling capacitor [C1], either the 5K or higher and the 3.6K are in series with its inherent input capacitance. One may argue for the potential to affect or degrade the slew rate of P-MOSFET.

generg; I look forward to your Spice simulation.

Best
Anton

Attachments

• def14ecapboost.png
    def14ecapboost.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 388
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yup , we already know for that solution , and simillar

frankly , can't remember - is it from your threads , or Papa's writings somewhere , or combined

C1 is there for good reason ,doing exactly what needs to be done

in any case , one needs to take care of resulting Rin of OS stage , to not burden preceding stage too much

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
observe currents through SIT source , mosfet source and through load as I posted in #200

red - current through 8R load
green - current through mosfet (IRFP9140)
blue - current through PapaSit

652778d1514115479-greedy-boy-defisit-papas-koans-defisit-currents-16vpp-8r-jpg

Actual circuits are similar to the sims. If you re-arrange the polarities
of the waveforms and examine the waveforms into different loads, it
becomes a little easier to see:

Current through SIT is also a function of Vds of the SIT.

With no load this circuit has AC current through SIT in opposition to
P Mosfet, that is to say out of phase.

At low impedance loads, looks more like conventional push-pull pair.

In between you see SIT working some 2nd harmonic in opposition to P.

Into 4 ohms, current cutoff of SIT occurs at about 64W peak into 4 ohms
(4 amps) where P channel clips.

:wiz: