First Watt J2 speaker experience

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi-
This is my first post on this site so please forgive any inadvertent etiquette or technical errors.
I bought a FW J2 about a year ago and love it. Tried it with my Harbeth 30.1 speakers (8 ohm/~85 dB), lifeless and really not good. Tried it with my JM Reynaud Twins (4 ohm 89 dB), much better, and great for an affordable speaker (I got those used for a few hundred dollars about 12 years ago).
I thought the amp was capable of more so took a 2.5 hour trip to an audio shop with interesting speakers, brought my amp (and FW pre also). Sources were my Pono player with hi-res files and the shop's TT (Well Tempered, Dynavector tonearm, Ortofon cartridge, German tubed phono stage---I could look up make/model, don't remember off the top of my head).
Consonance full range speaker: yuch. Devore O93: good, not great. At this point the shop owner was well into a long speech about inferiority of solid state. Falcon Acoustics Ram Studio 30: holy f$#@. Shop owner's head snapped around--"oh, I see what you mean about this amp...". They are new speakers--I bought serial number 12!
Just my experience, but if you're looking for a match to the J2 and you can listen to these you may want to.
Oh, BTW, the sound was OF COURSE way better with TT than Pono. I had brought some records so was able to listen to familiar music.
Best wishes
Mark

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• Sonido by ZM.jpg
    Sonido by ZM.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 658
The abstract observation that I've concluded is that lower wattage (<25W) SS amps such as FW enjoy speakers that are delicate, but not too delicate. Speakers that wake up with a little bit of power. But not too much power. The answer is obvious! I jest of course. The answer isn't obvious at all. But I stick to my brand-name 'specially auditioned/selected' 80's something 3-ways with 10 inch woofer. But that's my sound. Full. From the other room. And I refuse to part with them. Unless someone offers me a deal on a pair of 12 inch Tannoy. Then I'll think about it.

Those have been mod'ed with only an Audax mid cone. My thumb rule or first hurdle, must be able to hear bass while turning chicken on the grill. And it only get richer while getting closer. Our needs may be as diverse as the equipment itself. Some need a sweet spot where the chair is.. to each their own.

I had a pair of 12 inch RCA Victor alnico speakers borrowed from my grandmother's console (sorry grandma! God rest her soul) that I sold Years ago on ebay when I needed some money. They went to someone in Korea, but since then I've searched high and low to get them back. They would literally be the perfect mid-low end to low power SS amping. Much cheaper than Tannoy, but then I'd still need to mate them to the upper end. I will get those back some day and figure all of this out.

Hi-
This is my first post on this site so please forgive any inadvertent etiquette or technical errors.
I bought a FW J2 about a year ago and love it. Tried it with my Harbeth 30.1 speakers (8 ohm/~85 dB), lifeless and really not good. Tried it with my JM Reynaud Twins (4 ohm 89 dB), much better, and great for an affordable speaker (I got those used for a few hundred dollars about 12 years ago).
I thought the amp was capable of more so took a 2.5 hour trip to an audio shop with interesting speakers, brought my amp (and FW pre also). Sources were my Pono player with hi-res files and the shop's TT (Well Tempered, Dynavector tonearm, Ortofon cartridge, German tubed phono stage---I could look up make/model, don't remember off the top of my head).
Consonance full range speaker: yuch. Devore O93: good, not great. At this point the shop owner was well into a long speech about inferiority of solid state. Falcon Acoustics Ram Studio 30: holy f$#@. Shop owner's head snapped around--"oh, I see what you mean about this amp...". They are new speakers--I bought serial number 12!
Just my experience, but if you're looking for a match to the J2 and you can listen to these you may want to.
Oh, BTW, the sound was OF COURSE way better with TT than Pono. I had brought some records so was able to listen to familiar music.
Best wishes
Mark

I am pretty surprised the big 3-way was the speaker that sounded the best. Your findings are opposite of what I would have thought would work. At least on paper. Very interesting...

Me too!

I neglected to make the point that the take away message from this, for me anyway, is that the J2 is very sensitive to speaker matching and that the speakers with which it works best aren't necessarily what I would have expected--for example, it works very well with my 4 ohm JM Reynaud's.

Also, I don't think the fact that it didn't sound good with some of the other speakers means they're not good speakers. I love my Harbeths with my other amp, and the Devores are I know very highly regarded in general.

The shop owner said he had never come across an amp so sensitive to speaker matching.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.