Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Aloha F5 v3 part 2, console build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Coasttocoast is offline Coasttocoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aloha F5 v3 part 2, console build

I finished these original monoblocks a couple years ago. Happy with the sound and performance, but between the size of the amps, and the rest of my accumulated gear, our living room looks like a dorm room.

E73BDD47-BE94-4E0B-85E1-C3AE749E3D05.jpeg

So after many hours searching images of shelving, cabinetry, and console’s I decided to build a console. It will be similar to the pic but a little longer and made from teak.

AE9940FA-5FA3-4E30-A8BD-9DDA1677D513.jpeg

These amps will be rebuilt in new 24” x 16” x 8” (HxWxD) electrical enclosure’s. With new Pass Labs style heatsinks mounted to the 24” x 16” back. The console will be built to receive one on each side from the rear behind the speaker box sections. With the heatsinks exposed on the rear. I think with a couple inches of spacing away from the wall should be good dissipation.

The heat sinks are 10” tall x 6” wide x 3” thick. 2 1/2 heatsinks will be applied in 2 rows stacked with a 3” gap between to minimize heat transfer from lower to upper rows.

Enclosures, heat sinks, and other parts are ordered and on the way.
F5turbo v3 mono's, SST-70 mono's, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD player, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Bluesound Node 2, Ekta Grande speakers, DIY 13" ScanSpeak sub's w/REL amp boards, Transparent Super cables.
Old 19th October 2017, 05:45 AM   #2
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasttocoast View Post
....The heat sinks are 10” tall x 6” wide x 3” thick. ...
OR--- move to Maine. I can't imagine those big hot monsters in your mild climate. Here they would be very stylish electric heaters, 100% efficient. Even at our high-ish electric rates, they would be good spot-heat when the family is all in one room and we let the wood stove slacken. (Actually I burn propane at 94%, but still good to have spot-heat.)
Old 19th October 2017, 12:45 PM   #3
No 4 is offline No 4  United States
diyAudio Member

I would buy a bigger house or build a dedicated listening room on to my house before I took those monoblocks apart. Those are awesome!
Old 21st October 2017, 08:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

PRR and No 4, thanks for the comments!

I enjoy building things, from audio gear, to cars, to commercial buildings. These amps were fun to design and build but I get bored easy. We have been in Hawaii (both Maui and Oahu) just under 7 years and have moved 7 times, as an example. I have been accumulating audio gear along the way and time to organize it.

I’m excited about building this console and incorporating the F5’s into it. The final design is a little different than the previous pic, but generally close. With all the stuff I want to include I’m up to 94” in length. But probably a benefit by spreading the speakers farther apart.

Been working out the engineering of the cabinet to keep from sagging with the length/weight. The problem is my little turntable weights over 65 lbs (plinth 100% panzerholz) and will be right in the center. The heatsinks weight 85 lbs. but at least they are on each end.

The legs, heatsinks, pocket hardware for the lid, new Keratherm pads, aluminum spanner bars, amp enclosures, and speaker grill cloth have been ordered and arrive next week.

Tomorrow I’ll be at the cabinet shop to start the woodwork. (I have full acces to a production/custom cabinet shop, including high end cutting machines, CNC, and paint booth).

I have been running the F5’s trying to get some break in time on the rebuilt JBL LE8T’s before they all get married in the console. Interesting sound, Class A/full range driver. Of course I’m kinda cheating with a pair of 13” Scanspeak subs with REL accustic amp boards filling in the lower end.

PRR, you can have the cold! Hate it! Nothing better than weather you can count on 98% of the time. Without thinking or planning my wife and I can eat outside and enjoy the day, year round. I think Hawaii has the highest electric rates in the country, so double/triple bad to run the F5’s plus the air conditioning!
F5turbo v3 mono's, SST-70 mono's, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD player, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Bluesound Node 2, Ekta Grande speakers, DIY 13" ScanSpeak sub's w/REL amp boards, Transparent Super cables.
Old 21st October 2017, 10:35 PM   #5
chede is offline chede  Germany
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasttocoast View Post
Been working out the engineering of the cabinet to keep from sagging with the length/weight. The problem is my little turntable weights over 65 lbs (plinth 100% panzerholz) and will be right in the center. The heatsinks weight 85 lbs. but at least they are on each end.
What about 6 legs to the console ?

Best regards,
Claas

P.S.: By the way, I can absolutely understand your feelings toward Hawaii. We have only once spent 2,5 weeks on Maui while we had been living in the U.S. Absolutely loved it !
Old 21st October 2017, 11:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chede View Post
What about 6 legs to the console ?

Best regards,
Claas

P.S.: By the way, I can absolutely understand your feelings toward Hawaii. We have only once spent 2,5 weeks on Maui while we had been living in the U.S. Absolutely loved it !

Chede, thanks for commenting. I have received the legs I’m going to use;

CA17C4EE-20FF-4172-8A54-CCB4E2F05571.jpeg

The floor of the console will be made of 24 pieces of 3/4” plywood cut 2” wide laminated to 12 pieces of 2” wide 1/4” steel plate (3/4” ply, 1/4” steel, 3/4” ply, repeat). This 2” thickness will be buried and won’t show from the front or back. The various sections of the console will be built together to help support itself.

If this doesn’t work then I’ll be stuck adding a center leg.

Capacity of the legs is 150 lbs each. Might be close to capacity when finished and loaded with audio gear.
Old 26th October 2017, 09:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Since the new mono block chassis will be built-in to the rear of the console, function over beauty here.

I purchased these used electrical enclosures made by Rittle (WM241608NC). Like the part number they are 24” tall x 16” wide x 8” deep, and made from 16 guage steel. $100 ea including delivery to the house. Will be plugging the old holes, repainting, and changing the hinges to the long side.

D9A99F3F-DDA6-4FE3-8B18-AD7F1D8A0D39.jpeg

The plan is to bolt the heatsinks to the door. Route the wires to the hinge side so from the rear of the console I can swing the door/heatsink bank open for access to the amp.

I have 3/8” x 2” aluminum bars that the devices will be attached to and then bolted to the heatsinks to hold them together/spread heat. 4 ea bars per amp. So the case doors will be cut open at these locations and insulated spacers between the door and the heatsinks to reduce heat transfer to the enclosure.

Looks like a big space, but preliminary layout shows to be tight.

Enclosures even have a built in copper ground lug, bonus!
Old 26th October 2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Sprags is offline Sprags  United States
diyAudio Member

If you actually did all the work yourself for building the F5 and the chassis they are currently in and the console your skills as a craftsman are phenomenol. And your engineering skills must be pretty good too. I wish I had the opportunity to follow the path you did to achieve those skills. Not to brag...I'm pretty good at engineering and fabrication using machine and woodworking tools also but not nearly as good as your examples present.

I knew another engineer I worked with in Maine that worked his way through college by making violins he said sold for $10000. We've both moved on from the co,pansy we both worked for in Scarbourough.
Old 26th October 2017, 05:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprags View Post
If you actually did all the work yourself for building the F5 and the chassis they are currently in and the console your skills as a craftsman are phenomenol. And your engineering skills must be pretty good too. I wish I had the opportunity to follow the path you did to achieve those skills. Not to brag...I'm pretty good at engineering and fabrication using machine and woodworking tools also but not nearly as good as your examples present.

I knew another engineer I worked with in Maine that worked his way through college by making violins he said sold for $10000. We've both moved on from the co,pansy we both worked for in Scarbourough.
The current F5 builds, as in the pic, are 100% my design and fabrication, thanks for the compliment.

I have just started on the console. The pic above is just a reference to what I’m building.

Due to a couple factors, I’ve changed my plans for the size. It will now be 94” wide, 32 3/4” tall (including the 6” legs), and the cabinet will be 24” deep but the 3” heatsinks will protrude the rear of the cabinet by 2”, for a total depth of 26”.

The extra width will spread the speakers apart for sound and allow me 3 middle sections for audio gear. The turntable will be in the middle with just a 23” wide opening lid.

Thanks for commenting!
Old 27th October 2017, 10:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Heat sinks arrived from Singapore.

They are basically 10” long, 6” wide and 3” deep. There will be 5 on each monoblock. I will split one for each channel and have 2 1/2 on the bottom, then a 4” space, then 2 1/2 on top. This will fill up the 24” tall x 16” enclosure door.

5 heat sinks weigh 27 lbs.

6B04B7BA-FBC6-4D43-BD1C-1A2E7B0F9964.jpeg

Aloha F5 v3 part 2, console buildHide this!Advertise here!