Build This MoFo!

....A fun build....
tdg9.gif

Congratulations David excellent MoFo Diy :cheers:

What speakers are you using with your MoFos? I should be up and running in a couple of weeks (with 193Vs (on back order - wonder where they have all gone!),19v supply initially (but happy to shift to 24v, just happen to have the 19v for free so starting with them) and a BA3 pre (currently running into audiosector lm3875). I will use my spendor sp1 to start with (90db @ 1w) and expect they will give me a reasonable level but I don't have to explain to anyone here that I am just interested in building something. My initial thoughts are something like a Parham Pi3. I am in Australia (Tasmania) so for me eminence aren't so cost effective so something based on a faital pro driver would potentially be better. I know I am potentially a bit off topic but just curious to see what others are using and what I could focus my next build on. Thanks Nigel. ps my room is 14ft * 25ft and listening levels in low to mid 80db range.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
fw1712,

I'm building a full range speaker with Tang-Band 6.5" driver.
Driver weights 8.5 lbs. 89db efficient. Against people's recommendations, I'm going to try it in an aperiodic box. If it doesn't work, adding a port or covering the opening won't be a big deal.
Using a flat-pack box from parts-express that's 1.16ft^3.

Not great efficiency, but something was brought to my attention.
90db is very loud. On my meter, with bi-amped F7s (simulated F7s), musical peaks were 82db on the current 2-way speakers (90db eff.). At 2w with the TB, we're already at 95db. Of course there are losses, but there's also room reinforcement and with two speakers in a room, doesn't' the efficiency raise by 2 or 3db? I kind of think the need for 95db and above efficiency is a little over-blown, unless you are using something like 2A3 tubes at 3w, then go for 100db speakers. That's my take on this and I'm sticking with it. :)

Tang Band W6-2144 6-1/2" Paper Cone Full Range Driver 8 Ohm

Last edited:
Hello vdi_nenna
I do agree with you
As for me the efficiency requirements are mainly determined by the listening environment.
When living in an appartment and neighbours all around i do not need much power nor efficiency...
Thus at home a clean 4 Watts and 87db speakers do the job. In the office i have other possibilities.