Paid Member

Attachments

• TEMP.jpg
    TEMP.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 631
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I thought so as 22uF wouldn't seem to make a lot of sense. I think perhaps it's another example of our different understanding despite our shared language as to me mF is the same as uF.

Did you try your power supply without the CRC; in theory the cap multiplier alone should be sufficient shouldn't it?

Cheers anyway.

I am not using any special language. This is SI prefix notation but we lack the Greek “mu” so people use “u”.

Metric prefix - Wikipedia

22mF stands for milliFarad. 1000 x 1uF or 1000 x 1 micro is 1 milli. 1000 is 10^3 and 1 micro is 10^-6 or 10^-3(milli).

Wanted to keep heatsinks electrically isolated from mosfets, but maybe you'r right and I will get rid of thermal pads to knock down the mosfets temp a little, thank you!

Removing a thermal pad will make your mosfet up to 12c lower. I measured some of this a few months ago and posted the results here.

Using Nelson's quote that ZenMod posted, you should be able to do rough-but-close-enough estimate of temperatures. If you think your temps are high, drill some holes in that board beneath the finned area of your sinks to improve the airflow. Anodize will also increase thermal radiation, keeping things even cooler.

I hope you are enjoying them - they look great and will sound even better!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
....different understanding despite our shared language as to me mF is the same as uF.....

Maybe an age thing. In my youth, "micro" was usually "m". And we had no "pico", we wrote "mmF". And an awful lot of 100,000 Ohm resistors were still "100M".

In the 1960s, US magazines found a μ for their type-case and began using it consistently. (However "letter u instead of μ is allowed by one of the ISO documents".) I think at that time our Euro friends were mocking our retro unit symbols.

It was much later that I began seeing "mFd" meaning MILLIfarads. BIG cap! I was not aware that we needed such a thing; there won't be that many 22,000μFd caps on one drawing, and it invites mis-reading because "m" for "μ" was not so far in the past. But one of the schematics programs uses one prefix-routine to normalize all user-entered values, and computers are our bosses, so we are stuck with it.

I used a switching power supply. But I thought of integrating these large polypropylene caps that certainly helped the performance on the listening level and I also inserted a snubber. However I did not make comparisons with a classic linear PSU that I was about to make .... I have the material but.
References to these posts: here, here and here

On close inspection of my amplifiers it turned out that the aluminum bars I made are too thin and unable to fully clamp the mosfets against the heatsink.

I remade the clamps from 6mm hard aluminum alloy and now both mosfets stay at 57-59C.
So extra care should be taken to ensure the proper bracing of the mosfets.