Build This MoFo!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
@jazzzman - Personally, I'm not very afraid of nonlinear capacitance, would not fret most MOSFETs at 12V. For 4 Ohm load you want >3A. 36 Watts dissipation(!), 18W out on paper, over 10W out at low THD. And the 11V peak needed is just within range of op-amp type preamps on +/-15V supply.

With good sinks, you can push the bias on a MoFo higher than you might think. I've been running one for over a year now with bias set above 50w dissipation per channel/device. I'm using individual sinks for each mosfet and the mosfet is mated directly to the sink using only grease - no silpad or anything else. This makes the sink live, so some care must be exercised with where you place it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
With ceramic spacers and thermal heatsink compound connecting a large 600W IXYS MOSFET to a CPU cooler with heat pipes, I have been able to push 150w and the MOSFET body temp is only 65C. The heatsink is isolated in this case and thus not live. I have found that it is useful to connect the heatsink to chassis GND to reduce noise pickup and sometimes it even prevents oscilations from the capacitance created between the MOSFET and the heatsink.

One more Mofo question!
I have got some big-amps battery chargers from old telecom whatnots. Transformer 27 V and 6 kilo. The added electronics make 28 V DC of this. Of course I could research the old-fashioned electronics and reduce the voltage. But what about using a higher voltage and reconfiguring the output choke as a step down transformer?
Of course the preamp would need more output.

I got dinged the last time I mentioned my open source preamp here. I happen to sell PCBs for it but not stopping anyone from making their own with P2P or home etch or layout with Gerbers.

sharing schematics and selling boards are two different things, you can not have them both in a single thread, each has its own place in our board...

as long as you follow this, there should not be a problem..

in fact if you share schematics and will not share details, then that gets moved over to the vendor's threads....it has always been like that....

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
sharing schematics and selling boards are two different things, you can not have them both in a single thread, each has its own place in our board...

as long as you follow this, there should not be a problem..

in fact if you share schematics and will not share details, then that gets moved over to the vendor's threads....it has always been like that....

Well there are two threads. The technical discussion one is here:

AKSA's Lender Preamp with 40Vpp Output

The other one is in the GB forum.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The Aksa Lender is already through hole. There is option for SMT daughterboard core amp modules but that is not a popular choice.

There is even a through hole daughterboard that will fit directly on the bolts of the M2X input stage and provide gain as well as buffering to drive the 600ohm Edcor signal transformer.

Last edited:
I've finally gathered all the parts - save for two, which I could use a bit of advice on.

I'm using a 20V supply. I'm going to drive it with a BoFo, followed by an Edcor XSM10k/150 (1:8.2 turns). I want a higher voltage gain than the PC600/15k offers. Using this as a transformer vs. autoformer, TBD.

I'm looking at the M2x schematic as a reference on the Edcor.

My question is regarding the series RC network following the Edcor.

The M2x thread suggests this is tuned to the particular transformer (I couldn't find any application notes from Edcor). The M25 thread says you can skip it if you're not using the PC600/15k. Susan Parker doesn't appear to use any compensation in her Zeus power amp.

I don't own a scope at the moment, so I can only test with a DMM and my ears. Any guidance will be appreciated.