Build This MoFo!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I’m starting on another MoFo but this time using an SLB SR power supply. Will be fed by Antek AS-3222 which will provide about 25v at 3A. With the SLB SR, I am getting less than 1mV rms ripple as measured with 8ohm 100w Dummy load.

764596d1561321067-slb-smooth-butter-active-rect-crc-cap-mx-class-power-supply-gb-slb-sr-test-01-jpg

Here is scope shot of input (yellow) to pass-BJT and output (red) of the ripple eater:
764597d1561321067-slb-smooth-butter-active-rect-crc-cap-mx-class-power-supply-gb-slb-sr-test-02-jpg

I will be using JPs64’s Excellent MoFo boards:
645063d1510344314-build-mofo-mofo-tht-png

Will drive with an Aksa Lender pre running at about 27dB gain with a 48vdc power supply.

A quick question: It looks like it would be very easy to get more output voltage swing with higher power supply voltage (and input voltage swing). Is the limit here the increased distortion shown in the original article, or is that increased distortion at max power reflecting an approach to clipping?

Thanks, Skip

Moving along on build specs: It looks like I'll be aiming at 34-36 VDC and about 3.4 amps. Can the IRFP250 handle this, and even if it can, is there a better choice? I noticed the max Vgs is +- 20V. I'm not up to much effective interpretaion/understanding of data sheets, but this looks like it might be touchy at my voltage/current target.

Skip

joining the club

Hi all,
MR, thanks for the design. Here is my attempt to build the amp.

Custom ordered choke not the Hammond ones (different specs from the Hammond). Voltage drop across the choke is about 2.7 volt (2 ohms Rdc). Modded a bit to adjust with available components in my drawer. Currently set to about 1 A bias (fluctuating AC mains) and of course, the HS gets really hots after ten minutes of music play. Hunting for bigger HS now.... :)

Once getting a bigger HS, higher bias current will be exercised.
Cheers !

Attachments

• mofo.jpg
    mofo.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 760