Y.A.F5Tv3.B.T. Yet another F5Tv3 Build Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
trying to move around "P3", the quest for reducing the 2nd harmonic...

All the things you see on the table is Jet-Propulsion-Lab certified :rofl::rofl:

I was able to reach at 1W/8ohm 0.004 THD and 0.056 THD+N. with P3 centered.

From there i was able to lower to ~0.002 THD adjusting P3. Start listening...

I have a cycling hum from the transformer... maybe the windings are a little loose...
If i have this behaviour also with the transformer behind a variac... i think i can exclude a DC problem on the mains... what do you think ?

Attachments

• thd.PNG
    thd.PNG
    112.2 KB · Views: 120
  • messy_table.jpg
    messy_table.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
as soon as you said the word "autoformer" i felt stupid...

Another hint in the "DC direction" is that the trafo is a 1400VA one, the amp is biased with 3a total @ 55v so 165VA is drawn... nonetheless is getting warm, i think it must be stone cold with that kind loading.

Another thing is that i am using a bridge made of ultrafast diodes (mur3020wtg)... i had read around that they can couse some humming on the transformer too... always used in other projects, and never had an issue, but never on such a big transformer.

the filtering at the moment, per rail, is : 1400VA -> ultrafast bridge -> 44mF -> 160mOhm -> 44mF -> LOAD.

I will try asap the DC blocking circuit... do you think the RodElliot iteration is good enough ? Mains DC and Transformers

Last edited:
I have a cycling hum from the transformer... maybe the windings are a little loose...
If i have this behaviour also with the transformer behind a variac... i think i can exclude a DC problem on the mains... what do you think ?
Passing the mains through a Variac will not improve the intolerance to DC of your transformer.
Reducing the supply voltage slightly will reduce the flux level in the transformer and this may give a slightly lower mechanical hum.

Passing the mains through a Variac will not improve the intolerance to DC of your transformer.
Reducing the supply voltage slightly will reduce the flux level in the transformer and this may give a slightly lower mechanical hum.
There's something definitely related to a dc component because with the dc blocking circuit I've got the transformer much quieter Indeed.
Definitely there's more on the saturation because with lower input voltage the transformers became almoat silent. I think I will redo the Transformer with the company and maybe this is the good occasion to redo the shielding also in a Proper Way.

is there any chance you had the discrete rectifier diodes wired incorrectly?

If they were wired correctly, then the only explanation I can think of is that the larger loop areas of the discrete compared to the integrated bridge would increase interference.

... I think was a false alarm, i was pretty sure i've solved the winding uhum for good, but yesterday night, when i have fired up again the test bench, the transformer came back in all its humming glory.

So... i think the rect bridge was not the issue.

I will bring the transformers to the factory again and I will ask to re-wind the primary with a 20% more of the nominal flux. I think is a saturation issue.

Attached the bridge i have designed for the discrete mur3020.

C1,2,4 and R1 are not populated

Attachments

• bridge.PNG
    bridge.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 110
Fast forward almost 2 weeks.

The transformer has been redone, different core, +30% of the nominal primary winding turns.

Now they are dead quiet. just a very little mechanical noise, that i think is quite normal at this load.

Biased at 320mA per device, 55 volt rails filtered 44mF->3.5mH->44mF.
Nulled the second harmonic by distortion analysis. I enjoy a lot the resolution and details coming from this amp. On my speakers, seems a lot sharp but not hard...

Is time to machine some chassis ...

keep you posted !

Attachments

• 20171215_235228 (Large).jpg
    20171215_235228 (Large).jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 89
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.