Open Baffle and where should we spend our Toshiba 2SJ201/SK1530?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a small quantity of this to use. I have a F5 with irf's and Harris and monoblocks sony vfet diy. Im in the process of building an open baffle speaker so i want to use when available the b5 active crossover and biamp the drivers. The question is...what should be the amp for the bass duties and what should i chose for the full range (sony vfet?). The woofer is the eminence beta 15A. Not decided on the full range. I have the frugal horn mk3 with fostex 126en but i can only play some jazz or smal instrumental music. The fostex screams a little even after 100hour and i need more bass. The open baffle project let me experiment other drivers in the future so i want to try it. Im decided on that.

Thank you

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Those Toshibas are so special, I think I'll put something together for mine.
Either a totally stripped F5 or a follower without degenerating resistors and
a nice front end. Maybe both.

As to midrange, the VFETs still walk away with the prize. I'm hoping the
next round with the single-ended Sony followers at 10 watts will get close
to that.

With the Fostex the top end needs to come down a bit. I did make a nice
equalizer for that that also bumps the bass a bit. It's going to appear in the
store shortly and it will be cheap.

:cheers:

Thank you Nelsson. Im trying to keep up with your info and guidance but i have to read and study all of audio terminology and nomenclature to understand the meaning some words. So, my system is now a ba3 front end with ~10db gain connected to my original F5. If i understand you think my toshibas could go to a stripped F5 (by stripped you mean?...sorry) or another kind of amp (follower without degeneration resistors) .

The other question in my head is how the volume will equal at both amps? I think i must have the same gain at both amps and for that i will have to down size the F5 because i think it has more gain than the Vfet.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If i understand you think my toshibas could go to a stripped F5 (by stripped you mean?...sorry) or another kind of amp (follower without degeneration resistors) .

The other question in my head is how the volume will equal at both amps?

Yes, and when I have some time I will draw a stripped down version. You will
keep in mind that I haven't tested it yet.

The gain should be adjustable on any active crossover, and it is also adjustable
with resistor values in the amplifiers.

Those Toshibas are so special, I think I'll put something together for mine.
Either a totally stripped F5 or a follower without degenerating resistors and
a nice front end. Maybe both.

:cheers:

:) I also have been saving those for something nice.

I am also planning on an ACA2 to see if I can exchange one ACA in my F5+ACA+ACA multi-amped setup for an added bit of warm quality in vocals.

I wonder if the diyaudio store housing will have room for a proper linear PS when ACA2 comes online?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The stock version doesn't make much allowance, relying on an
external switcher, but the mounting pattern on several larger
chassis will fit it fine.

The only question is whether the store will offer the rear panels
with the holes already punched for those larger chassis.

re: 201/1530
for the front end, should I order your faves j74/k170 while they are still obtainium? thinking non-Linear of course for an all-Toshiba amp :rolleyes: I am guessing in 7-10mA Idss range? or are you planning something off the beaten path maybe M2-like? not sure what could make those larger Toshibas shine.

p.s. btw this member of the greedy boyz :devily: could really use something that can run balanced and kick the top on those LXMinis too. but those little suckers are power hungry; thus they have been relegated to the naughty corner and sitting covered collecting dust as I cannot stand running an Emotiva when I have all these nice amps sitting around (thus a home made more efficient OB is in use; but pls do not ask about WAF :whazzat:).

Last edited:
Will buy some toshibas jfets from spencer. No spares left. Maybe 8-10ma matched. I think i will have a very good christmas this year! Going from F5 stereo amp common psu to biamp and vfet monoblocks. Im hoping the difference will be considerable to my ears. I will report it. Thank you all

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.