SIT 1 and crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the silver is the leads which I bet would be better if they were copper.

The tizziness I am hearing sounds suspiciously similar to silver tizz. Someone had mentioned replacing the silver with copper. I think I need to give that a try.

Thanks PRR for your thoughts. That was interesting, especially the Thoreau part. So much easier to bum around when you know you don't HAVE to! I did not realize the family had real money. Explains a lot.

Pencil lead with PROVENANCE like vineyards or coffee plantations! Not surprising when you think about it ...

Have to say for all of their faults the carbon comp resistor can sound very good. I am speaking of the 2 watts ABs. They are in a class of their own. The others are fine for a temporary use or as gate/grid stoppers.

the DUELUNDs are never as close as I would like to their published value and are much too expensive to buy enough to sort so if one is needing a precise value you have to add another resistor which ameliorates some of their "goodness".

Sure wish someone would try the OHMITE/ARCOL 1 watt thin films. I think they sound very good but would love to hear another assessment.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
now when you have recipe , you can make your own pencil resistors

double pleasure - both cheap and esoteric

multiply double pleasure , buying decent air cored regular or foil inductors , then can them in bee or some other wax of your choice

also - buy russian metal can PIOs , de-can them , can them in your own wax

Duelunds are in top drawer of audiophoolery , regarding ratio of decency (BS/$) , but they're still part of audiophoolery

Just by curiosity 8H pencil lead measured with 4 wires option=32. 20 Ohm's

Attachments

• 572B63C1-132A-4272-A80B-D1C0FB3F5E4E.jpg
    572B63C1-132A-4272-A80B-D1C0FB3F5E4E.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 104
After inserting the series resistor to both drivers and removing the parallel choke on the T500 I notice my SIT1 running MUCH cooler.

I have to assume I was making the amp oscillate?

When one is trying lots of things and then measuring them this one (me) can short change the far more important (long) listening trial between changes.

All sounds better now, too. Illustrates the danger of jumping to conclusions on technical aesthetic issues like eliminating series components!

AS you know I would not know what causes oscillation!

It is a dramatic reduction in temperature. Of course, the weather has also got cooler ...

Here is where I am with it today!

i figure the high frequency dip is more of a room anomaly since it appears in both drivers.

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 66
  • impedance.jpg
    impedance.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 62
  • frequency.jpg
    frequency.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.