First watt clone any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not the right place to ask this question, we're anti-clone as there is a clear IP infringement issue involved. Why would you buy something from someone who is ripping off one of Nelson's designs? Nelson has strongly supported the diy community so why not build one the legitimate amplifier kits available in group buys or buy a real first watt amp instead of a shoddy, ethically unjustifiable ripped off copy from someone else?

Joined 2000
Paid Member
We're kind of anti-clone around here.

Definitely not anti-clone. Anti-production for profit using NP's IP.
It's pretty simple.

If you build one amp, call it "F6 clone" or "F6 DIY" on the chassis and don't use NP's name, there isn't anything wrong with that.
It's when you use "Pass amp" and produce two or more for sale. That's a problem.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that price comparison, the 4u chassis with sinks at the store starts at $189.00. I'm not condoning the theft of intellectual property, especially of someone (Nelson Pass) who has been so (very) generous and helpful to the diy community. But, the prices on these chinese clones (so called), can be tempting to those who don't know better.
I'm new here, but so far have bought boards for an F6, a B3 pre, and fets from the store, and fets and a phono stage board from members. Haven't built anything yet though. Education of new and inexperienced members is key here, and this forum is a gold mine of information from some really talented and helpful people. Personally, I have not found it's equal.
Offering some guidance along with the caveats of theft (and purchases that are aiding and abetting of that theft), is better than a smack on the snout with a rolled up newspaper.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Ok if you did not notice I am new here so show me where to find a kit to build and I will
build it.

You can start by going to the DIYaudio.com store. Find the Aleph-J board, which is the closest amp to the "Pass AM" I'm assuming that's Aleph Mini?
There's transistor kits in the store along with a power supply board and several 4U chassis to choose from.

Go to the top of the Pass Labs forum, of which you are in, and look for DIYaudio Build Guides. There's a build guide for the Aleph-J.

You can get good transformers from Antek, Inc. probably need a 600VA for a stereo amp, but I bet it's discussed in the build guide.

If you don't have a source for electronic parts, try Mouser and DigiKey.

When you have questions, search for threads based on your issue or start a new thread.

We want to help, but not with a lame-o amp that no one knows what went into it and perhaps is ripping off the most generous audio electronics genius/wizard of our time. Can you see why we are touchy? :confused:

Good luck and stay away from junk.

Vince

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nursfortubes,

Where are you physically located? It might help folks give you suggestions on
sourcing parts, etc.

For example, if you are in the US, for not much more than the cost and shipping
of the ebay amp, you can get the parts, pcbs, etc for an Aleph-J or an F5.
This presumes you have some tools and basic equipment and are willing to put in
some elbow grease, but it should be fun.

I don't think the ebay amp will do 30wpc into 8 ohms; I simply can't see enough
output devices.

Cheers,
Dennis

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Nursfortubes, my entrance into building my first Pass amp started off pretty much as yours. I was looking at Pass clone kits on eBay and wondering if they were any good because I’d always to build a quality amp. When I posed the question on this forum many of the great and experienced members/amp builders here gave me their honest opinions about all of the projects available on this site and the DIY Store.

Member 6L6 suggested building the Aleph J amp, and with advice from him, Zen Mod, Dennis Hui, and many other enthusiastic members here I successfully built my Aleph J which as it turns out I’m currently listening to music with as I type this post. Building an amp yourself will be a fun, rewarding and great learning experience. And, you’ll never be left in the cold when you need help.

Many new projects is start after Burning Amp Festival.
Diy Vfet kit amplifier from Papa if you get little patience is excellent ;)

Attachments

• DEF44FB1-7140-4602-868F-EAECC11D352A.JPG
    DEF44FB1-7140-4602-868F-EAECC11D352A.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 466
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We have quite a few new kits in development for the store.

Fans of the ACA will note version 1.1 which is a stereo unit in a new
chassis and designed to cost less.

And there is a new ACA 2 which has more power and drives lower
impedances.

And lots more...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just look at that. The guy could probably retire better than I will just by selling off 50% of the fets on his shelf, and has more accomplishments than 99% of us. Yet he uses his time on this?

You just CAN NOT screw with his generosity :)

Good luck with your build!

you know him ........ properly retired from youth days

working as from strict pleasure

:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.