First watt clone any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am around the same age as Papa, staying busy keeps one young.

I fail to understand why the store does not jump on providing boards when Nelson is gracious enough to release a schematic of a proven product such as the M2. Also I would like to see a board for the LSK preamplifier Nelson graciously presented at one of the Burning Amp Festivals. I have built a LSK preamplifier and it is a fantastic preamplifier which I am sure would rival some very expensive retail ones. Just good a good business decision to jump right in a new design. I am sure the cost is not that great with so many diyers wiling to help with the board layout. There is a reason Zen loves his M2.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Also I would like to see a board for the LSK preamplifier Nelson graciously presented at one of the Burning Amp Festivals. I have built a LSK preamplifier and it is a fantastic preamplifier which I am sure would rival some very expensive retail ones

I've tried to draw up a LSK preamp board in KiCAD, but is such a steep learning curve for me.
If it were descent I'd give the PCB to the store.
It should include an output buffer option. B1 v2 buffer preferred.

Last edited:
I think you'll find that the store is going to start offering a lot of stuff soon.

Thanks for reminding me about the LS preamp circuit...
:devilr: :nod:

angrypat (and others)
I'm not sure about that price comparison...
I totally get the temptation, but that eBay "clone" is $384 (slightly rounded up) with $110 shipping. Now, that shipping cost is to me in central Iowa, but we'll say $500 total rounding everything up. Off the cuff I have that or less in my just finished M2 using boards from grimberg and the diyAudio store, the same chassis they sell in the store (I sourced mine a few years back straight from Italy, before the store stocked them), and parts from Mouser and Antek. If you're outside the states or using super-ultra-mega-high end parts, well, your mileage may vary. My first foray into audio some years back was building a JLH amplifier. It was done on proto-board using parts I had laying around, it was free. I rebuilt it a couple months later using some purchased parts and some ON Semiconductor samples, it was under $50. Did it look pretty? Not really, eye of the beholder though. Did it sound pretty? You bet your sweet bippy it did!

Make a modest investment in parts and you can build over and over again. My M2 is built into a nice chassis, with a nice power supply, and uses quick connects in certain areas. If I want to try something else, say an F5, I build it, mount it on heat sinks, unplug, re-plug, and I'm good to go!

Food for thought.
:cheers:

Attachments

• 7ED510D4-4747-4061-9B07-60E770040E35.jpg
    7ED510D4-4747-4061-9B07-60E770040E35.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 284
  • D6D0B73F-9987-44D3-A98F-CB77BA651456.jpg
    D6D0B73F-9987-44D3-A98F-CB77BA651456.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 12E3D9BA-8B48-4DF2-9B2B-AE7A2DEC2620.jpg
    12E3D9BA-8B48-4DF2-9B2B-AE7A2DEC2620.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 282
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.