DC blocker on F6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Placed here because used on F6 clone.
Since building, the transformer on my F6 has made slight mechanical noise. This is not audible on the speakers.
It made a low level hum, but when other items like the network server were switched on there was a "boing" sound for a few seconds.

I fitted a DC blocker recently (simple cap and rectifier design.)
Just isolating the amp.
This has removed the mechanical noise, and the boing.

It may be psychological but the amp now sounds cleaner and even better.

Anyway may help someone else. :)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I'm pretty sure the "boing" is mechanical noise due to current change either incoming on the amp at turn on or something else on the ac line draining current. Injection of dc current to the AC line will cause hum in toroids. I read this starts to happen on toroid 600va and larger.

I have a 2k VA balanced power unit that needed such a dc filter. Still have some noise when things connected to it are powered on.

Any reduction of the noise floor will give an improvement.

Placed here because used on F6 clone.
Since building, the transformer on my F6 has made slight mechanical noise. This is not audible on the speakers.
It made a low level hum, but when other items like the network server were switched on there was a "boing" sound for a few seconds.

I fitted a DC blocker recently (simple cap and rectifier design.)
Just isolating the amp.
This has removed the mechanical noise, and the boing.

It may be psychological but the amp now sounds cleaner and even better.

Anyway may help someone else. :)

Really!? Mine is ~1 year old it makes ZERO noises... from v first power up I had to check and see IF had actually powered the thing up as I placed my ear as close to the dustcaps of my Tannoy Golds as possible.. and there were Zero sounds/Nothing at all.. regardless of the setting on the Volume control.
Total DEAD silence.. astounding! after decades of crappy predecessor Amps
I can only assume that ; either there are inferior parts fitted
OR your utility supplier is feeding ''dirty' power.
Most utilities Will come and evaluate their product as delivered into your location.. gladly.
Best avail yourself of this basic service?

Last edited:

Attachments

• Dc.jpg
    Dc.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 242
Correct me if I´m wrong, but it´s a DIY forum?

Both commercial from type line filter + DC blocker with nice money back garantee.

My idea was to offer an electronic build mounted directly on the frontplate of a chassis (2U, 3U, 4U and so on, from HIFI2000 for example), located near to the transformer in the power amplifier.

Wired from a fused COTS line filter on the rear plate of the chassis to the helper; wiring main switch or not; selecting main voltage bei correct soldering of the thermistor and finishing the wiring to the big toroidal main transformer.

I had never problems with DC with my electronic but love to reduce wiring to a minimum and therefore I planned a small interconnect board for main switch and inrush current limiter respecting safety european standards (IEC60950).

No matter, I´ll order soon some prototypes for personal use.

JP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.