Acceptable Idss Range for 2SK270-BL and 2SJ74-BL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Idss of 6 mA will work on these amplifiers, sometimes with small adjustment.

8 mA is a more desirable, and is the presumed default most of the time.

Excellent- thanks so much, Nelson.

I have ordered some (Toshibas) from an online seller and requested sets close to 8mA Idss (he tests at 9.00 V).

Seems a legit supplier - it is a (pro) audio manufacturer who bought the JFETs from "top-line U.S. distributors". Fingers crossed.

John

Last edited:
Who did you get them from? The only dependable source with idss all through the sweet area I know of is Spencer. Always genuine.

Russellc
The seller is Millennia Music & Media Systems.

I got them here (hoping they were a smart buy). I note that the upper end of the Idss range is lower than when I bought. I requested mine were as close as possible to 8 mA. He as pairs as wellas quads, as well as some other FETs.

"FETs are matched in pairs to within 0.03mA Idss AND 4mV Vgs."

Toshiba 2SJ74 + 2SK170 MATCHED QUAD to 0.03mA AND 4mV 7.2mA-7.4mA Idss Range

Last edited:
I have bought from the guy in the past but I cannot remember if they were genuine or not. During that time, before the LSJ74 was available, I tried a few of the Ebay sellers. Most were fakes. Buyer beware on Ebay. It is always best to have matched sets but not a deal breaker if they are not. You will have more 2nd or more 3rd with a mismatched pair but it can be corrected with some source resistance if you do not like the sound. Sometime people like the sound with a mismatched pair better depending on whether you like more or less 2nd harmonic.

My vote is for LSK only for the J-fets.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member

I got them here (hoping they were a smart buy). I note that the upper end of the Idss range is lower than when I bought. I requested mine were as close as possible to 8 mA. He as pairs as wellas quads, as well as some other FETs.

I know John La Grou personally, I remember when he bought them, and you
can bet he matches them that tightly.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Read above post - I feel good about my analysis and decision.

Yes, it sounds as you have found a good source. These sources are rare as hens teeth. I have, and I suggest you as well, lay in a small supply to use in the amps you plan to build.

Its nice the store provides the linear versions, but I have previously inquired if idss can be requested, but never got a response. I have a couple sets of them, but have no idea where they measure idss wise.

Havent had a need to find out by measuring them, I just ordered sets measured by Spencer.

Happy amp building!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Extremely tight matching. Sounds like you chose good units.

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.