My M2 story

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been a diyer for over 40 years. About half way through my journey I discovered tubes and about a decade after this horn based speakers. About 2 years ago I got interested in this forum and since that time I've built an F6 and M2 based on the excellent help and enthusiasm from this this forum and the hard work of the diystore folks. Before this time, my everyday amps were a pair of direct coupled 12AX7-2A3 monoblocks using Magnequest outputs. I love these amps but I have to confess that they are collecting dust in my rack and the M2 is seeing all the action. I have a 4 way horn system and the M2 drives 3 sections, from about 70 hz and up. I say all this to say thanks to Nelson Pass and this forum for making an amp like this available for builders like me. When you factor in the total cost to build one of the First Watt clones, it's an absolute steal of exponential order. The 2A3 amps deliver the midrange like nothing else, but the M2 comes pretty close, however what it delivers mo better is better control of the bottom end, dynamics, and a dead quiet background. (To my surprise, the black background is now something I can't live without.) Adding a 4P1L transformer coupled linestage in front of the M2 was icing on the cake. Some day I will tackle the filament supply of my 2A3 amp but for now, it's the M2 all day every day.

Thanks again.

Milkduds

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yup, I traveled the same road. (tubes and horns) No more chasing exotic unobtainium tubes, its jfets now for me! After my first Pass amp (F5), I even sold my coveted Mcintosh MC225.

As you can see from my signature, the sickness has grown. Yes, I have all of these units operating as separate units. There are stuffed boards waiting for a few others as well...

Russellc

Was not expecting an ACA-2.

Just came into possession of an unfinished ACA and ordered parts to finish it as a mini version of the 2015 BAF Schade circuit sporting R100s as Q1. It can be kludged onto the stock board pretty easily. Now the news of an ACA-2 means even more flea watt fun. :)

A fun year indeed!

Training for ACA-2.

JP

Attachments

• ACA-PBA-TOP_1.jpg
    ACA-PBA-TOP_1.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 701
  • ACA-PBA-TOP_2.png
    ACA-PBA-TOP_2.png
    953.3 KB · Views: 684
  • ACA-PBA-BOT.jpg
    ACA-PBA-BOT.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 673
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.