what type of inductor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Progress is slow going on my Aleph 2. I looked around but, i'm looking for a definitive answer about what type of inductor to use.

I've been looking at 12 ga. air core 2.2mH inductors. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using this type of inductor vs. the foil type inductor? From what i've read foil is better than regular wire wound inductor.

Thanks in advance

John

MEGA-amp said:
Progress is slow going on my Aleph 2. I looked around but, i'm looking for a definitive answer about what type of inductor to use.

I've been looking at 12 ga. air core 2.2mH inductors. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using this type of inductor vs. the foil type inductor? From what i've read foil is better than regular wire wound inductor.

Thanks in advance

John

For power supply filtering, I have been using cheap ferrite e-core chokes. The advantage is size and cost.
For something like a Aleph 2, an air core choke of 2.2 mH and a current capacity of 10 amps or so is very large.
My amps are much lower current than a 2, but a 2.7 mH, 6 amp choke was 5.95 at the local emporium. It would fit in your hand, 2 -3 pounds.

George

These are the inductors i used in my Aleph 2. They're 2mH.
I used to get them from MCM... but they quit stocking them, last time i looked.

Attachments

• inductors.jpg
    inductors.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 634
Moe,

Did you ever do any listening to the amp with out the inductors? Back a while ago, I was designing some amplifiers for data acquisition system. It all seemed ok until we ran FFT impulse response, so with the inductors in the circuit it would cause the amplifiers to fail the FFT dynamic range test.

:)

Jewilson - i don't know what FFT dynamic range is...

I have used these same inductors in a SOZ up to 10 watts with
no problem... BQ, weren't you at 25 watts?? I could see where
they'd probably overheat there.

There is a definite improvement to the hum or hiss that you can
hear when the amp is idling and you put your ear up to the
speakers - when these coils were added to the PSU for the ZEN amp.

I haven't tried removing them in the Aleph 2 to see how it would sound.

MEGA-amp said:
Why is it always a penny for your thoughts, but you put your two cents in, somebodys making a penny here.

Thanks for the info
JH

The way the Dollar is falling, 1 penny will = 2 cents sooner than you think. ;)

moe29 said:
These are the inductors i used in my Aleph 2. They're 2mH.
I used to get them from MCM... but they quit stocking them, last time i looked.

Try www.partsexpress.com they have some very nice Jansen Coils.

K-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.