Anyone use this? And does it work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tin plating circuit boards works fine. It's just basic chemistry, no magic involved.
Some people avoid it, either because they don't like the way it looks or because some say that it makes the sound brighter. Others think it makes their work look professional and keeps the copper from corroding. I've never made identical boards and done side-by-side comparisons with and without tin plating, so I have no comment on the sound quality. Besides, a little brightness may be just what you need.
For my purposes, I shoot my bare copper boards with a thin coat of lacquer. I can solder right through it and the looks suit me just fine. Keeps the copper from oxidizing for at least fifteen years, that being how long since I first started doing this. Others leave the copper naked and let it oxidize. If you get boards made and choose to have a solder mask applied, then the question is moot.

Grey

I have been using a similar product for 20 years, and it works great..
If it enhances the highs used on audio boards, I really cannot say I have noticed.....

It really enhances the solderability of the boards, and gives great protection, but for long time protecion I also use a lacquer coating. Otherwise the tin goes darker, depending on the environmental air.. But- as Grey comments,- if you have your boards produced commercially, you will have a solder mask and the question is irrelevant. I use it for lab made prototype boards, and in these circumstances, I also do without the silkscreen, which so many here seems to depend on.....
Sure is nice to have, but boards was produced commercially for more than 40 years without it.......

In industry I have used what I presume is the same material "Cool-Amp". There it was often the deciding factor of if a buss bar connection would survive or run off in a puddle of Cu and fire.

Seems to improve the ability of solder to wet and flow on circuit boards that I have etched with Ferric Chloride. Just a subjective evaluation!

Cyclotronguy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.