Pass B1 pre with BF862

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last week I managed to acquire 53 BF862s from a local distributor and tested their Vgs-Id performance.

Good news is that 44 of them could be matched within 0.5% of Idss, although there is very few perfect pair, say within 0.05% Hfe deviation for modern bjts.

Bad news is that their Idss scattered from 14mA to 25mA just as the datasheet described. In order to get as many of them matched as possible, one has to buy and test a lot of devices(compared to bjts). And testing those sot23 package is really painful.....simply too small to handle:(

I'm using BF862 as sort of on board preamp for a bjt input headphone amp;)hope it'll work

Attachments

• BF862.PNG
    BF862.PNG
    32.2 KB · Views: 615
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last week I managed to acquire 53 BF862s from a local distributor and tested their Vgs-Id performance.

Good news is that 44 of them could be matched within 0.5% of Idss, although there is very few perfect pair, say within 0.05% Hfe deviation for modern bjts.

Bad news is that their Idss scattered from 14mA to 25mA just as the datasheet described. In order to get as many of them matched as possible, one has to buy and test a lot of devices(compared to bjts). And testing those sot23 package is really painful.....simply too small to handle:(

I'm using BF862 as sort of on board preamp for a bjt input headphone amp;)hope it'll work

Here is a jig I made to test BF862 Idss in-situ. The jig is the same as the actual circuit the JFET will go into so the values here represent real values in the actual circuit. It is painful but wear magnifier goggles, use good tweezers, use an eraser from a pencil to apply pressure to the JFET on the jig to get good contact. The painful part is waiting 20 sec for it to reach steady state.

591365d1484064084-bf862-based-se-class-headamp-without-heat-sot23-jfet-tester.png

Here is a jig I made to test BF862 Idss in-situ. The jig is the same as the actual circuit the JFET will go into so the values here represent real values in the actual circuit. It is painful but wear magnifier goggles, use good tweezers, use an eraser from a pencil to apply pressure to the JFET on the jig to get good contact. The painful part is waiting 20 sec for it to reach steady state.

591365d1484064084-bf862-based-se-class-headamp-without-heat-sot23-jfet-tester.png

Nice work!
When i was buying components at the distributor, the guy actually recommended me a fixture for durability test of SMT parts. It contains spring loaded pins to contact the part being tested, so all you need to do is put the part in and close the cover. Saved a LOT of time for me:D

Attachments

• TB2VHnTfxlmpuFjSZPfXXc9iXXa_!!2145846898.jpg
    TB2VHnTfxlmpuFjSZPfXXc9iXXa_!!2145846898.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 636
Joined 2016
Paid Member
SOT23 Tester

Do you have a link for the clamper tester?

Dear xrk971:

I bought this one:

NEW SOT23 SOT23-6 SOT23-6L IC Test Socket / Programmer Adapter / Burn-in Socket | eBay

They had a soldering error between their two layers of boards. Not a design fIaw, just sloppy soldering on my sample. I cut off the lower board and soldered some wires to the board with the adapter.
It is still fiddly to put in the SOT23 JFETs in a way that you get good contact ... :p

The tester holds two SOT23 devices, and you can use it to differentially match two SOT23 JFETs.

OT: I use it to test MMBFJ271 that I want to use for the differential pair of my Aleph "Minimax".

Something like that goes nicely with the SOT23 JFETs:

NEW SOT23 SOT23-6 SOT23-6L IC Test Socket / Programmer Adapter / Burn-in Socket | eBay

The left adapter board in the picture holds two SOT23. I plan to use it to make a differential pair, closely coupled, and put it in place of the usual TO92 or TO220 devices ... ;)

Best regards,

Claas

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.