IRFP044 Group Order

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A quick update for all concerned, we are above minimum order and I'll be on the phone to Richardson electronics on Monday, keep your eyes peeled on this page and the wiki for an update.

I live in central Missouri and Richardson are in IL and shipping by UPS ground takes 2 or 3 days maximum, so no problems there.

400+ devices are already on the wiki page and I'd encourage anyone to add themselves to the list. April 1st will be the cut off point for this order. I'll have to finalize payment details and contact information but rest assured the only thing extra to the end users will be, PayPal fee's, postage and possibly any unforseen extras like padded bags or boxes for postage. I'm not going to be making anything on this order and like a lot of group purchases any extra monies left over from this will be donated to the Diyaudio site. If anyone want's to co-ordinate distribution in Europe, that would be appreciated too.

Many thanks guys and girls

Kevin

When I spoke to the sales agent at Richarson, I had her look into the lead time. She indicated that it shouldn't be more than a week or two.

Incidentally, for those interested in the IRFP240 devices, Richardson also has them at an excellent price of $1.27 qty < 100, and $0.98 qty >= 100. While they are on order also, the sales agent told me that there was no minimum order on those. So anyone should be able to order them on their own from their web site.

In addition the heatsinks I pointed out in the other thread are available at $51 each length. Using 2 x 18" lengths (4 x 8.75") cut into 4 peices total gives a good amount of heatsinking for an amplifier with 8 (or 12) fets per channel running 13-15v rails with up to 7 amps bias. This gives an estimated rise above ambient of around 30-33C dissipation of around 26w per fet.
This is how I'll be running my amplifier, obviously users are free to use what they like but for keeping it as economical as possible (ok, I admit I'm related to Scrooge) this is an easy way to go.

I'll post some pictures on the builders thread to show how they look.

Kevin

Magura
Thanks for the help, I have thought about getting the FET's to you in one large package already divided up in individual packages labled and ready to go to the end user. Customs duty might be a bit of a pain but I'll talk to one or two people who have done group purchases in the past to see how they handled it.

contact me by e-mail and we'll figure something out, I want this to be as painless as possible for you.

thank you

Kevin

I know this may seem a bit strange, but wouldnt' ti be cheeper to simply pop the FETs for each none USA person into a small USPS Global Priority mail envolop and send them out individulay, as that would only cost $5 each and will generaly avoid customs as it is such a small pacakage.

Just my 2 cents though, so please don't be offended or put off at all.

bigparsnip said:
I know this may seem a bit strange, but wouldnt' ti be cheeper to simply pop the FETs for each none USA person into a small USPS Global Priority mail envolop and send them out individulay, as that would only cost $5 each and will generaly avoid customs as it is such a small pacakage.

Just my 2 cents though, so please don't be offended or put off at all.

Bingo! Those little wonder envelopes do exactly the same thing here in Canada.

I know for a fact that customs will not accept tubes of 25 pcs passing into europe without duty paid. I have recieved smaller packages without being charged duty, but they were all checked by the customs and included a customs declaration issued by a company, saying that it was samples.

We are as far as i could understand from the customs of Denmark's webpage, facing 25% VAT and 3% duty.

In that case it would at least even out with customs versus sending individual packs to everybody.

Besides that, its causing a little less problems to everybody that they wont have to trouble with the customs.

For my sake, those couple of units I want to order youre free to ship by USPS priority air, since 10 pcs have little risk to attract any attention, but i assure you that 2 tubes of 25 pcs does.

Magura:)

Magura ea,

I just recieved +100 PCB for the Aleph-x from Hifizen which had a commercial value of + $500. When you have to declare it you'll indeed have to pay the normal custom prices (17-25% it depends).

But scientific parts used for non commercial purposes are not taxed at all.
So now you only have to find a reason that you're project is part of some sort of research, I propose this:

Comparing audio signal apparture using various different parts...

Ok some say this is fraud, but since all parts are already taxed (normal VAT) in the US, why should I have to pay them also...
The non commercial purpose is of course not lied, or Mr Pass will send his army of lawyers to your house ;)

For my part, USPS priority is fine, just ship it as a letter with a value < $49 and it's not neccesary to declare at all (I'll take the risk)

Ralph

rwagter said:

Ok some say this is fraud, but since all parts are already taxed (normal VAT) in the US, why should I have to pay them also...

It is fraud, and if you get caught doing what you proposed, you have a serious problem.

If anybody wants to get a criminal record, go ahead.

I though principially agree with you on the fact that its inreasonable that we have to pay VAT twice, but thats the law around here.

Magura:)

Ralph (and anyone else not familiar with tax laws in the US)

You may be interested to know that sales tax on some mail order items is waived if you order it out of state, if you are a commercial entity (which we are not) we have to declare a "sales use" tax on all purchased items, needless to say there shouldn't be any sales tax this end. If I'm wrong I'd like someone to put me straight so I don't end up facing the IRS....

Kevin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.