Projects to use these power supplies: suggestions please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While waiting for delivery of my toroid power transformer for the Aleph J project, I started digging into my parts collection....

I found these power supplies- two of them- at the back of the shelf:
24v DC @5 amps (regulated)

The transformers are Hammonds:
225VA
Pri: 115/230v
Sec: 55v c.t.

So if necessary, I could re-wire the primaries to get 27.5 v c.t., I suppose.

What's a good (Class A) (beginner/intermediate) project that could put these to good use? A ready-made PCB isn't necessary, but a PCB layout would be an asset.

Thanks!

Attachments

• back.JPG
    back.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 115
  • inside.JPG
    inside.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 110
  • xfrmr plate.JPG
    xfrmr plate.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 112

Thanks for the very quick reply and for the suggestion.

I'm not afraid, but I'm 'on a budget' ... :D.. and that does look like a bit 'rich' project....

I'm wondering how my power supply parts will work with that amp, which requires +/- 36 v regulated. Also wondering about the VA limit...
Later....<edit>....
Reading in your 2nd link I see for the 'Class A version':
The output stage unregulated power supply voltage needs to be dropped in half, from ±30V to ±15V, fully loaded. This means using a 12V+12V power transformer (or 24V CT). It should be rated 350VA if using a single transformer for both channels, or use one 200VA transformer per channel. As a consequence of the reduced voltage, the 10000uF bulk capacitors' voltage rating could also be reduced from 50V to 25V. You can use higher capacitance if you wish.
So this would work with my re-wired transformer 27.5v CT...and I'd just build a smaller supply for the +/- 24 v regulated
The σ22 regulated power supply should be configured to output ±24V instead of ±36V. The recommended power transformer is thus changed to 25V+25V or 50V CT, rated 30VA if using a single transformer for both channels, or use one 15VA transformer per channel.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.