Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Cheap(er) Driver for J-Low
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2004, 02:31 AM   #11
Kofi Annan is offline Kofi Annan  United States
diyAudio Member

OK-- I admit it. I don't know much about speakers, but can a $19.50 driver really perform similarly to a $140 driver?

I'm not challenging this, mind you. I would LOVE for this to be the case. I guess the question is, what am I buying for $140 that I'm not getting for $19.50.

Kofi
Old 18th March 2004, 02:45 AM   #12
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by Kofi Annan
OK-- I admit it. I don't know much about speakers, but can a $19.50 driver really perform similarly to a $140 driver?

I'm not challenging this, mind you. I would LOVE for this to be the case. I guess the question is, what am I buying for $140 that I'm not getting for $19.50.

Kofi
I am in no way claiming that it is anywhere as good as the Jordan JX92s, but given the price, and similar size, it might be worth trying until you can afford to buy a pair of JX92s drivers.

I absolutely loved my jx92s speakers, before I sold them last month. I will buy another pair in the future and build a pair of TLs, but I sold my pair to make room for my next project. Plus my friend really wanted a pair of them...

--
Brian
Old 18th March 2004, 04:20 AM   #13
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Alright! Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, it still looks out of my price range for now. I'll bet I can sell some blood platelets, though, and I have TWO kidneys so...

I thought you UN people were living large and your body parts sure are cheap!
If you donate platelets make sure to tell them to keep it all. You don't want to endup with someone else's viruses.
If you're are that short on money may I suggest a used zenith boombox circa 1986 from your local crap store?
Old 18th March 2004, 07:39 AM   #14
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
The Jordans were $70 when we did the article....
The crash of the US Dollar rears its head...

If the current little Philips is anywhere near similar older ones, that is a nice little driver.

dave
Old 18th March 2004, 01:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I thought you UN people were living large and your body parts sure are cheap!
Yeah. You'd think that platelets and and a kidney from the Secretary General of the United Nations would yield some serious coin, but apperently "they're just like anyone else's", sez the Red Cross.

Quote:
If you're are that short on money may I suggest a used zenith boombox circa 1986 from your local crap store?
I borrowed Gerhard Schröder's 1981 Emerson Ghettoblaster (the tape eject button sticks and the "play" button is missing-- he was using it in his shower), so I at least have SOMETHING to listen to. He wants it back though and he left his "Foreigner 4" cassette in it, so I KNOW he's going to be all over me at the next meeting concerning the Afghan Loya Jirga.

Anyway, I would LOVE to know where I might be able to find those Philips drivers. I spent the better part of an afternoon looking for them on the web to no avail.

Any ideas where they might be hiding? Spider hole, maybe?
Old 19th March 2004, 10:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Anyone?
Old 20th March 2004, 02:53 AM   #17
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I would LOVE to know where I might be able to find those Philips drivers
No idea where to get new ones.

You can try eBay. I have 4 of them here, but each one needs some mending (3 have crushed whizzers & the other needs new lead-in wires). I most often find these in the small, older Norescos 5xx models.

My brother should also have 4, but i don't know whether he wants to part wit them.

dave
Old 20th March 2004, 05:08 PM   #18
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Quote:
Anyone?
http://www.monacor.com/produkte/Prod...5&UG=270064310

no idea of shipping cost, usa availability.

Looks a good candidate for the 98cent foam ring modification.

Wouldn't some of the TangBands also be a possibility ?

sreten.
Old 20th March 2004, 06:43 PM   #19
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I could rip the midranges out of the Philips 3-ways we built about 25 years ago...
So the drivers were pretty good? I should hook them up to a good amp to try them. I wonder what they would sound like tri-amped? And maybe replacing the tweeters; I'm sure technology has affected them most of all.

Cheap(er) Driver for J-LowHide this!Advertise here!