Is there a First watt model which can take a 2ohm load AND ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
your 2ohms ribbons are substantially resistive and thus an easy load compared to a 2ohms voice coil driver.

Yes, true. However, they may also have a capacitative element (don't know for sure but have read this).

However the crossover could add a significant reactive component to the ribbon's impedance.

It's an active system; the ribbon amps are directly connected to the ribbons.

But I disagree completely with your assertion that 3A continuous gets anywhere near the tranisent demands of your ribbons.
a 3A fuse will pass 6A for very many seconds without rupturing and would pass 20A for many milliseconds without rupturing.
Have a look at fuse data to get some idea of the way a fuse handles transient currents and continuous currents.
3Apk is only 9W (+9.5dBW)

That's a very good point - thanks, Andrew.

So my 80w into 8 ohms nominal power probably needs to be 200w! :)

I don't believe an F5 is stable (does not oscillate?) into a 0r1 load. Where did you see that data? Post a link.

I saw some graphs of a sine wave output into 0.1 ohms, in an article by NP. Yes, I was surprised too - but, sorry, I can't remember where I found it.

Andy

Hi Andy , can you tell or show us how you make your measurements ?

Sure - they were simple and crude but, to me, showed that the amp I am using ... has a problem. Please tell if you would've come to a different conclusion. :)

This is a 3-way active system; using my signal generator I put a signal directly into the ribbon amp and then the mid amp (which are the same), and measured the voltage at the driver terminals.

See attachment for my results - if the amps were doing the right thing, I would've expected to measure the same voltage at all frequencies.

Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• Amp Outputs.pdf
    173.3 KB · Views: 52
What about the amp input voltage , have you measured it at each frequency ?

comparing the two voltage ( in and out ) at each frequency would tell lot more

From many years using my sig-gen, I know that it has only very minor differences in output, moving across those frequencies.

I'm not interested in getting 100% accurate figures - only in getting an indication showing the amp is - or is not - producing a lot less output at HFs than it does at 6Khz.

Andy

sure , but "he know's" it's not like " he measured it" ;)

what does it cost ??

if you give an amp an steady voltage in at every frequency you should see ( measure) the amp gain at the output , dont you , so how can you understand whats is going on if you miss the input value ( measured) , he and you think it's steady , ok , measure it ;)

and if it is , next step ;)

sure , but "he know's" it's not like "he measured it" ;)

what does it cost ??

if you give an amp an steady voltage in at every frequency you should see ( measure) the amp gain at the output , dont you , so how can you understand whats is going on if you miss the input value ( measured) , he and you think it's steady , ok , measure it ;)

and if it is , next step ;)

Sure, Fabrice - you are absolutely right that measuring the voltage at the output of the sig-gen (or the input of the amplifier) produces a 100% solid conclusion.

But I know - from having done repeated measurements with my CRO on the output of phono stages - that the output of my sig-gen is nearly constant from 6Khz to 30Khz. Yes, it varies slightly (so when I am measuring the output of a phono stage, I always do a direct feed of the sig-gen to the CRO, to adjust the signal at that frequency back to my reference level, before measuring the output of the phono stage) ... but these small variations would not cause the radical difference in amp output (driver input) that I saw at HFs.

Andy , like you I am just trying to understand ;)

I made the same measurement few days ago on my Pass F6 ;)

Oh dear - so is your F6 showing an inability to produce HFs at a constant output level?

Andy

Andy, if you wanna build an Pass amp , do an F6 (not the cheap version !!) with PCF, your ears will tell you what ;)

"With PCF" ... what is this?

Re. F6 - according to the table here: FIRST WATT PRODUCTS

... the F6 has a Zout of 0.5 ohm ... whereas the F5 (the one I am interested in) has a Zout of 0.1 ohms. I am thinking this lower Zout will be a better match for 2 ohm ribbons?

Andy

Andy , i made measurement of my F6 up to 20 k , and I havent seen any significant variations , i will do some more measurements for you tomorrow .

my speakers are 3.5 ohms , not that far from yours ;)

PCF mean , positive current feedback , ask Mr Nelson Pass for more details , I wont be surprised if it's ( PCF) helps ( if done properly ) with low Z speakers ;)

Last edited:
Andy , i made measurement of my F6 up to 20 k , and I havent seen any significant variations , i will do some more measurements for you tomorrow .

I'm very glad to hear that, Fabrice! :) (As I have always assumed an amp should provide constant output voltage until it approaches its HF roll-off.

my speakers are 3.5 ohms , not that far from yours ;)

Mmmm, I think 2 ohms is a significantly harder load to drive than 3.5 ohms.

PCF mean , positive current feedback , ask Mr Nelson Pass for more details , I wont be surprised if it's ( PCF) helps ( if done properly ) with low Z speakers ;)

thanks - and thanks to pD - I will have to research PCF.

Andy

So is it a full range ribbon? Or multiple pannels covering different frequency ranges.
What is the lower roll off point?

No, it's not "full range". The Maggie true-ribbon (5' long) is a tweeter - so the models that have them, also have mid-range panels and 1 or more bass panels.

I cross over to my mid panel at about 3.5Khz.

For a 2 Ohm load I would probably want at least 2 pairs of output devices.

Aaah, OK, pD. The F5T has 2 output devices, yes? (I hope so, as I have already ordered the PCBs!)

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.