Pumpkin Shunty begins....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks, I just as well snag a couple. If they have it with shield, I will get it like that, otherwise, same as you got.
I assume you consider them adequate and no reason to up voltage or VA? Never mind, I dont see it in shielded version,
just ordered 2 of the same you used.

Thanks,

Russellc

Last edited:
The case is 17.25" x 14.25" x 3". The transformers are from Antek Inc. and have electrostatic shield. That shield combined with the aluminum wall separating the transformers from the circuit boards, made for an absolutely quiet pre-amplifier.
Regarding power tools, I only used the table saw with a Freud blade for non-ferrous metals and a drill press. Many members of this forum have ordered pre-cut aluminum plates from Online Metal Store and seemed happy with their products.

Thanks for the info, and the link - I am remembering that I may have used that metal store, or another similar, for a case I did years ago. I have a few full chassis options that look good, so I may go that route if the sizes work.

Tod

shielding, and EI vs toroidal xformer

Thanks, I just as well snag a couple. If they have it with shield, I will get it like that, otherwise, same as you got.
I assume you consider them adequate and no reason to up voltage or VA? Never mind, I dont see it in shielded version,
just ordered 2 of the same you used.

Thanks,

Russellc

I've been looking at some of the products in this store for shielding:
[url]https://www.lessemf.com/mag-shld.html#276[/URL]
Don't know exactly what level is necessary, so maybe overkill, but I think I will at least partition the xformers off.

I am wondering why Zen Mod recommended:
Xformer – EI preferable, 82 to 100Vct / 300mA per channel (one Shunty) minimum .
in the Shunty BOM and Schematic - I'm not sure I understand the tradeoffs here vs. toroidal???

Tod

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, these are like 11.00 bucks apiece, I am open to whatever, I can always use these with
something. ZenMod, do you have a comment? I want what Shunty-Pumpkin daddy knows is best! On the other hand, these appeared to work out for Grimberg.

What say master ZenMod?

Thanks all,

russellc

I initially started the pre-amp using two 2x45V 80VA transformers and, in my opinion, Shunty's Q1 and Q1a were running too hot to count on them working reliably for a long time. I was not able to keep my finger on the heat sink of either MOSFET for more than an instant. That's why I switched to the 40V units.
If you are interested in the 45V transformers, they are Plitron and I can give you a good deal on them.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russel - freely use what's already proven , if Grimberg tried exact type , that's it

regarding EI xformer vs. Donut - that's general consensus that EI are conducting less garbage from mains , but in this case that difference is purely academic , having all that filtering and regulation ( of Shunty) on hand .....

so - just use what's more convenient for you

trimpots - again - use normal multiturns , setting screw on top , and ( I just checked)-pins in line

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russel - freely use what's already proven , if Grimberg tried exact type , that's it

regarding EI xformer vs. Donut - that's general consensus that EI are conducting less garbage from mains , but in this case that difference is purely academic , having all that filtering and regulation ( of Shunty) on hand .....

so - just use what's more convenient for you

trimpots - again - use normal multiturns , setting screw on top , and ( I just checked)-pins in line

Thanks for the info, orders going out, and I will use those transformers, and pots I have on hand.

Russellc

OK, I just ordered heatsinks, so I'm all in! Took a bit of doing to track them down (let me know if you're looking for them), hoping to get the transformers sorted tomorrow (I'm checking out some that I liked the look of in a build by jimbo51) and then go through my boxes of resistors and capacitors to see if I already have some of what's needed. Progress :)

Tod

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've been looking at some of the products in this store for shielding:
[url]https://www.lessemf.com/mag-shld.html#276[/URL]
Don't know exactly what level is necessary, so maybe overkill, but I think I will at least partition the xformers off.

I am wondering why Zen Mod recommended:
in the Shunty BOM and Schematic - I'm not sure I understand the tradeoffs here vs. toroidal???

Tod

I believe Mcmasters carries Mu metal...

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, I just ordered heatsinks, so I'm all in! Took a bit of doing to track them down (let me know if you're looking for them), hoping to get the transformers sorted tomorrow (I'm checking out some that I liked the look of in a build by jimbo51) and then go through my boxes of resistors and capacitors to see if I already have some of what's needed. Progress :)

Tod

Well, dont be tight lipped, what did you get heatsink wise?:D ( and where , numbers i.e.) I may as well snag those as well...I havent even begun heatsink hunting, hopefully your finds will speed this along.

This kit has aged long enough!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zenmod, it looks like I am going to have to stand those 1 watt metal oxides I asked about up "soldier style"......is there a suitable one that is small enough to fit the trace?Maybe that's why the list I l;ooked at showed those items from Newark...I will check their size.

Russellc

Last edited:
Well, dont be tight lipped,
:yes: A fair point, well made. Maybe not so much tight lipped as lazy, I'll post links to parts from now on!

what did you get heatsink wise?:D ( and where , numbers i.e.) I may as well snag those as well...I havent even begun heatsink hunting, hopefully your finds will speed this along.

I got the Fischer SK81-50 SA and SK75-50, from the cookbook. I'm sure other options would work, or could be made to work, but with the spacing so perfect on the boards, I decided to hunt those down (I couldn't find the Austerlitz options at all). Unfortunately, I couldn't find a vendor that had both types, so I have two different sources:

SK75-50 Allied Electronics: Fischer - SK75-50-TO220 - Screw Mount 50 x 32 x 14mm 8.5K/W TO-220 Heatsink - Allied Electronics - $1.79 each, US, regular shipping for 4 was $6.41

SK81-50-SA Transfer Multisort Elektronik (TME): SK81/50/SA FISCHER ELEKTRONIK - Heatsink: extruded | TME - Electronic components - $3 each, Polish company, shipping was $9.90

Yeah, shipping 2 separate orders kinda hurt the cheapskate inside, but I will be happy with the result.

Tod

Allied has the SL75-50, but 0 in stock, search continues.

Ah, I missed that you had searched - yeah, 0 in stock, but Allied can get them, so I went ahead and ordered, figuring they'd arrive around the time I was ready for them, maybe use something temporary if I'm ready before they are here.

TME is cheaper than Newark/element 14 for the other heatsink (SK81-50-SA). I've never used them, though - they say the order should arrive in just a few days, will let you know how that goes.

Tod

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:yes: A fair point, well made. Maybe not so much tight lipped as lazy, I'll post links to parts from now on!

I got the Fischer SK81-50 SA and SK75-50, from the cookbook. I'm sure other options would work, or could be made to work, but with the spacing so perfect on the boards, I decided to hunt those down (I couldn't find the Austerlitz options at all). Unfortunately, I couldn't find a vendor that had both types, so I have two different sources:

SK75-50 Allied Electronics: Fischer - SK75-50-TO220 - Screw Mount 50 x 32 x 14mm 8.5K/W TO-220 Heatsink - Allied Electronics - $1.79 each, US, regular shipping for 4 was $6.41

SK81-50-SA Transfer Multisort Elektronik (TME): SK81/50/SA FISCHER ELEKTRONIK - Heatsink: extruded | TME - Electronic components - $3 each, Polish company, shipping was $9.90

Yeah, shipping 2 separate orders kinda hurt the cheapskate inside, but I will be happy with the result.

Tod

Ok, Heatsinks ordered! Whew!

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.