Pass SLOB Build Discussion

Hi,
Does anyone have the specs of this OB from Papa?
[Report] Burning Amp 2012 [English]
np_ob_back.jpg

Baffle dimensions and slot details would be great.

Thanks,
C.

Reactions: 1 user
IIRC the woodwork on these was done by Nelson Pass next door neighbor Jerry Immel. Jerry was there that day too and I took his email address with plans to contact him regarding dimensions etc. Alas, I lost the address.

The speakers sound excellent. I even got to hear them with my own amplifiers.

IIRC (again) the woofers are Eminence 4015LF's.

Hopefully Nelson will be along to shed more light on this for you.

Graeme

If we are here, I thinking for a while for cross breeding a traditional OB with front loaded speaker and this downward firing slot loaded OB.

You know, I have a 18" Eminence, it would be down firing, and have an Eminence Beta 15A which would be on front panel. Mean: per side.

I don't know, was I understandable?

Last edited:
If you have a bass boost ability eg B5 crossover or Digital Eq, I much prefer the sound of the smaller baffle.
Even without Eqing the Bass response, I find the smaller baffle sounds as close as I have heard to musicians playing a gig in your lounge room than any other speaker type. The bigger baffle in an average room size tends to start losing it's magic and starts to sound like like a boxed speaker again.

Thanks for the tips!
It seems you have experiences on it.
I have a Behringer SUPER-X PRO CX2310.
The real High-Endists says, this is a horror!
I don't know, I like it, it is a very dumb-user friendly.

I'm quite happy using either a digital Eq or B5 or both if required.
On the Eq I use digital in and digital out, then an external dedicated DAC does the conversion.

I also prefer simplicity wherever possible, try it both with and without the added Eq.

If you have a bass boost ability eg B5 crossover or Digital Eq, I much prefer the sound of the smaller baffle.
Even without Eqing the Bass response, I find the smaller baffle sounds as close as I have heard to musicians playing a gig in your lounge room than any other speaker type. The bigger baffle in an average room size tends to start losing it's magic and starts to sound like like a boxed speaker again.

Is 20" too wide IYHO?

20" is a good size.

From memory, once you exceed 35" (that is, in an average room, the size us peasants have), the magic of the open baffle seemed to diminish.
Obviously if you are a rich bastard with huge size rooms then things would be a little different.

Either way a narrower baffle is probably also going to look a little better and it's not too hard to correct for a small amount of bass roll off.