Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Pass Open Baffle: need help
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2017, 01:12 PM   #241
Kjeldsen is offline Kjeldsen  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have tested this woofer i various open baffles, and find it to be very good for the price (approx 200$)

http://www.gladen.com/GladenWooferPDFs/RS15FA.pdf
Old 7th August 2017, 06:58 PM   #242
WalterW is offline WalterW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Will have a look at it.
Old 9th August 2017, 12:39 PM   #243
WalterW is offline WalterW  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I ordered a pair of Faital Pro 15PR400 woofers, as seen here: OBL-15
Old 5th September 2017, 12:32 PM   #244
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Hi there!

Its almost 10 years since I built my OB speakers. It all started as Visaton's "No box" project, but I used Eminence Beta 15 as a bass driver. (With Visaton B200 fullrange). Along the years I made modifications in order to improve it. First, I went active, biamping,since I wasn't happy with passive Xo's. Then, I removed side wings, since it sounded more "natural" (less resonances). Then, in 2011, after reading SLOB article, I made two more modifications:
-I just slapped two pieces of chipboard in front of the woofer, creating a kind of "slot" and..
-Modified active crossover, and made it very similar to the one in SLOB aricle. The fullrange was cut at 160 Hz hi-pass, and the woofer at 80 hz low pass + Eq circuit. The basic difference was that the hi-pass was done by using B1 buffer "blocks" while the low-pass was done using opamps, simply because I already had it, so I just slightly modded it.
The result was a satisfying speaker...until now.
What happened? I moved into a smaller apartment, (roughly 4x4 m room, sonically disastrous). Open baffles are next to a wall. It is highly impractical now to pull them out for a listen. At this position, they sound muddy and garbled. I am aware that Open Baffles are not well suited for a smallish room and they don't do their best close to the wall.
Now I am facing a dilemma: should I try modding them again, or abandon the OB concept and go back to boxes?
When I mentioned "modding" I was thinking wether I could get a better sounding "Open Baffle" by mounting the woofer like in a Mini-slob (face-down) firing into a slot (like the one desctibed in this thread)? I mean, how sensitive is the Mini-SLOB to the rear wall placement? Is it less sensitive than an "ordinary" OB?
Old 5th September 2017, 01:08 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Some pics..just to get the ide. Sorry the front "slot" is not visible since the whole fron is covered...may take a pic when I get home. Will post it later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1378-1024x1820.jpg (243.5 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1379-1600x900.jpg (220.3 KB, 133 views)
Old 5th September 2017, 05:32 PM   #246
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

Going back to boxes is viable. I prefer sealed boxes if you have active
electronics to work with. FR might still be in OB.

With a little more work, you should be able to make the existing crossover
do the job.
Old 5th September 2017, 06:04 PM   #247
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

try them baffle-less , squeeze few smallish subs around

I know you have those cheapish toys , to play with
Old 6th September 2017, 06:49 AM   #248
diyAudio Member

Yup, it seems that it is inevitable I am not happy to part with OB's,but a smallish square room is not OB friendly. Before making a decision (to dismantle OB's) I wanted to try a few different approaches in hope that they would work. One of them is Slot loaded OB and perhaps a Ripole. On the other hand, maybe it is a futile effort and just a waste of time and money. That's why I asked if somebody tried Mini-Slob in a smallish room, close to a wall. It seems that few people did that, and even Nelson himself didn't try that since he has a big room...
So..ZM, as you said, I'll have to look for other options, the most promising being the one with multiple (four) subs in order to make that work. I tried with two simple sealed boxes and it doesn't work, there is more bass in the kitchen that at the listening spot (room null)...
Old 6th September 2017, 07:09 AM   #249
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

you now my baffles from pictures - practically in corners

every regular (so baffles properly in space ) sim is showing lack of bass , considering low Qts drivers and smallish (narrow ) baffle

in situ , I can't complain about bass (both quantity and quality) , quite contrary

to remind (both myself and) you - my baffle experiment was sorta conducted upside-down - I didn't started with project on paper - I had baffles so I just screwed what I had of drivers , tried .... then analyzed

so - in your case - only further minimizing of baffle will help , if bass is , as you say , on gigantic and sloppy side

feel lucky that you have Betas , not Alphas

Last edited by Zen Mod; 6th September 2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 6th September 2017, 09:06 AM   #250
nesha is offline nesha  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Vix, can you try this arrangement...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (27.3 KB, 71 views)

Pass Open Baffle: need helpHide this!Advertise here!