Pass SLOB Build Discussion

20" is a good size.

From memory, once you exceed 35" (that is, in an average room, the size us peasants have), the magic of the open baffle seemed to diminish.
Obviously if you are a rich bastard with huge size rooms then things would be a little different.

Either way a narrower baffle is probably also going to look a little better and it's not too hard to correct for a small amount of bass roll off.

Thanks will start soon the first proto ;-)

I haven't tried the slot loaded woofer firing on the floor. Chances are that the slot loaded woofer firing on the floor along with the other woofer mounted vertically you might not need any bass boost.

I think you will be extremely happy with that design. Obviously selecting nice drivers is also very important.

Reactions: 1 user
Full range are almost selected, the full ranges are already here and are the ENVIEE:
enviee - the fullrange driver

For bass I'm thinking about the FAITAL 15PR400, nice driver, very well built and linear.
15PR400_response_8.gif

Troels uses those in his OB project....

For the slot loaded woofer, I wouldn't run it any higher than 80 Hz but you should feel free to experiment and let your ears be the judge.
The vertically mounted woofer could certainly be run higher in frequency but to keep it simple it might be best just to cross it over at the same frequency as the slot loaded woofer.

You could, but I would personally want the woofer hitting a sealed, non-compressible surface.
Maybe the difference is 3/5 of FA, but if you have a carpet + rubbery carpet underlay floor then that is a fairly viscoelastic surface, not to mention the floor compressing and changing the cross sectional area of the slot, as well as pressure drops due to the possibility of poor sealing at the carpet surface, some energy would be lost, I couldn't tell you how much though, it could be insignificant or it could a 2dB reduction or more.

Alternatively if you have a concrete/tiled/or wooden floor then most likely you won't get a perfectly sealed slot due to irregularities on the floor surface.

Don't be a lazy bastard. I will sleep better if you follow Papa's design, to the letter. Hahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user