Heatsink Sourcing (split from AXB thread)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sources for Heatsinks

I have found three regular sources
for heatsinks

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Conrad Engineering in Australia

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/welcome.htm

Here is some pricing information from them

MF30-2F-151.5 x 2 @ 50.60ea. 101.20 AU$
Delivery (Aus. Post 7-10 days) 60.66 AU$
Total 161.86 AU$
* * * US$121.40 approx. * * *

MF 30-151.5 x 2 @ 47.67 95.34 AU$
Delivery 56.30 AU$
Total 151.64 AU$
* * * US$113.73 approx. * * *

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Thermaflo

http://www.thermaflo.com/index.shtml

Will sell direct.
The minimum order is 1 ea 4 foot section

They have 2 extrusions that might be
of interest

E3093
E3096

The pricing either model is about
$200.00 for 1 ea 4 foot extrusion.

http://www.audiokits.com/
has some Fischer heatsinks

SK157 $125.00
http://www.audiokits.com/products.asp?action=details&prodid=723

SK56 $80.00
http://www.audiokits.com/products.asp?action=details&prodid=500

Hope this helps some one,

Aud_Mot

Then you guys might want to consider the sinks that I bought from M&M Metals. 12 of them that were precut to 6 inches tall ran me about 340.00 delivered. There is a bit more chassis work to use these but the sinks are far more efficient than the ones you're looking at anyway... so there are other benefits if you have the space for these.
Mark

Attachments

• mm11759p.jpg
    mm11759p.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,047
The Thermaflo solution isn't too bad.

You can get 8 ea 6 inch sections for $200.00.

$25.00 per heatsink with a better than .3 K/W rating.

I think to beat that, you need to get lucky in the electronic surplus world. Heatsinks are one of the more rare finds in those stores.

Aud_Mot

Coulomb,

Are you sure about the price?

The one that you mention on your link (4 feet @ $112.00) is the same Thermaflo E3096 that I mention 4 ft @ ~$200.00.

This is a 44% difference. Are you getting these surplus, or direct from Thermaflo?

My price is for 1 each. Are you getting a quantity discount?

Is the difference your price is not anodized? IMHO anodizing is worth the expense. You get a more efficiant heatsink when it is black.

Aud_Mot

Aud_Mot said:
Coulomb,

The one that you mention on your link (4 feet @ $112.00) is the same Thermaflo E3096 that I mention 4 ft @ ~$200.00.

This is a 44% difference. Are you getting these surplus, or direct from Thermaflo?

Aud_Mot

Yes I am absolutely sure of the price $28 per linear foot of E3906. This is Direct from Thermaflo. My quote is for 24 feet minimum as I state in my Group Buy Thread, that's about $230 per Bar. Yes I am obviously getting a Large volume discount, how much should I sign you up for? :)

Would you like to help coordinate a US contingent on this group buy?

Regards

Anthony

Aud_Mot said:
Coulomb,

1) Are you getting them fromThermaflo direct?

2) Are they black anodized?

3) What size peices do we have to buy?

Aud_Mot

Well Aud_Mot if you carefully read my responce I did say they were from Thermaflo direct, I also state the minimum buy amout of 24 feet and the price per bar. The web link gives you all the item details of the extrusion and the bar length of 8 feet.

In response to cuts and Anodising, I have anticipated this question and requested a per cut charge estimate including Anodizing.

I hope this clears things up for you, there is also information at the link I give for the Canadian Group Purchase.

Regards

Anthony

rwagter said:
Coulomb,

your link is for an 48 inch long piece :eek:

for an 8 inch lenght with 108W dissapation (4fets 18V 3A) there will be a 30C temparature rise instead of 10C in your link

Ralph

correct link

Hello Ralph, I do not see the relevance of your point! Fine use an 8 inch peice if you want, I plan on using 4 x 12" pecies bolted together. I used the AXE spread sheet to calculate the required C/W. Am I missing something?

Regards

Anthony

rwagter said:
Dumb dumber dumbest :cannotbe:

When does every go to the metric system 24 inch ~ 8 foot

sorry, I read 8 inch.

Ralph

That' OK Ralph, but you did really through me for a loop there! :)

Let me know if your are interested in any of this material. Though I imagine even though the extrusion is a good price, the shipping cost could be significant.

Regards

Anthony

Re: 4' enough for two channels?

GringoAudio said:
It looks like even 12" would be enough for one channel from the calculations.

I have been toying with the idea of 14" cuts, that would net 6 per bar with a 12" piece left over. Actually you would make all the cuts .125" smaller to allow for blade width and a finish end mill.

A 14" unfinished piece would be $33 US, I am waiting for prices on finishing in Black Annodize for those interested.

A 14" section of this profile would be just about perfect for a 50 Watt version of the Aelph X. You could build a stereo Aelph X in a cube that has a 12x12 foot print and 14" in hieght.

Regards

Anthony

Aud_Mot said:
Coulomb,

Is the difference your price is not anodized? IMHO anodizing is worth the expense. You get a more efficiant heatsink when it is black.

Aud_Mot

Hello again Aud-Mot, can you tell me is the price you have of $50 US per foot including cutting to size and Anodizing the finished sections of 12", 8" or niether just unfinished?

I have two quotes, based on 24 Ft. $28 US per foot unfinished in 8 Ft. lengths, and 48 Ft. $27 US per foot unfinished in 8 Ft. lengths.

Each cut would cost $3 US
Anodizing each cut Piece $14 US

This would come to $45 US per foot in finished form, for me it is far cheaper to buy a section, cut it in my shop and send it out for anodizing locally where it would cost me $70 US for 12 sections.

An 8 Ft. section unfinished is only $223 US each, if I buy 3 of them.

Regards

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.