Heatsink Sourcing (split from AXB thread)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Coulomb,

Here is the story:

Tuesday: I called Thermaflo to find out if they had a distributor in my area. My call went direct to some one's voice mail. I hung up with out leaving a message. While I was taking a shower, a person from Thermaflo called me back. (I do not have caller ID blocked) I was told that Thermaflo would sell a single piece direct to me. I asked for pricing on the E3096 and E3093 extrusions. Because I was naked and wet, I did not have a pen to make notes. Both extrusions were about $200.00 for a 4 foot section. This is what I remember.

Thursday: I tried to call Thermaflo back to verify the price, length, finish and cut prices. The only phone number I can find is the direct number to this guy's desk. He wasn't there, he did not return my call.

What happens when this guy gets sick, goes on vacation, or takes his kid to the doctor? No one can call Thermaflo I guess. Not the sign of a smart company, making your company difficult to contact.

Sorry now back to the topic.......

The 2 extrusions have almost identical specs in terms of theta, lbs/foot, surface area etc. It didn't sound like I would get a serious discount unless I purchased a much larger volume. I will try again on Friday to talk to some one and see if I can explain the 44% difference between our prices. Beleive me, I do like you price better.

By the way, I have used a black sharpie marker to cosmetically anodize heatsinks. Before you shell out the money, try the experiment and see if you can live with the results.

Aud_Mot

Hello All,

Here are newer numbers:

3 ea 8 foot bars Thermaflo E3096 extrusion $222.1 for each 8 foot section.
UNanodized and UNcut.
Total $27.77 per foot + shipping ($222.18 X 3)/24

Thermaflo will cut into 1 foot sections and Anodized for about $44.00 per order. (That strikes me a very good deal)

We would get about 21 pieces. I am not sure why we don't get 24 pieces, but that is what Thermaflo said. Pay for 24, net yield 21 pieces. I suspect if we request something like 11.75 inch lengths, we can yield 24 total.

My estimate cost: $33.84
($222.18 x 3)/21 + ($44.00/21) = $33.84 per E3096 heatsink, 1 foot anodized.

If my 11.75 inch length plan works, I estimate $29.80 per heatsink.

Do not forget to add shipping. These things will cost about $20.00 (10 lbs. 12" x 12" x 6" box) to ship from the coordinator to each person. PLUS Thermaflo's shipping charge - my guess: $10.00 to $15.00 per heatsink.

Total Estimate EACH: $68.84
($33.84 + $15.00 + $20.00)

Comparative specs:

E3096
Roughly .225 C/W @ 100 Watts
+23 Deg C over ambient at 100 Watts

E3093
Roughly: .38 C/W @ 100 Watts
+34 Deg C over ambient at 100 Watts

The total cost for the E3093 is estimated to be a little less money, maybe a savings of 5% for the heatsink itself. Shipping cost should be the same.

Going up to quantities of 48 heatsinks saves about $1.50 per heatsink.

Comments anybody?

Aud_Mot

I got a quote from M & M Metals for an extrusion with the same dimensions as the 3096. About twice the price -

Stanard lengths - 12', 2 pcs $697, 3pcs $633, 5 pcs $570
Cutting to 11.8" nominal and black anodizing is $6.80 per piece at 24 pcs.

This works out to be $65 per sink FOB Irving Texas at 24 pieces, dropping to $60 at 36 pieces and $54 at 60.

Delivery 4-5 weeks ARO

Sounds like Thermaflo is a better choice. I'd be interested in 4, but cannot spare the time to be a coordinator.

Hey Aud_Mot did you just take the prices I got and paste them into a new message? :)

I am going to get 3 bars for myself likely, unfinished and uncut. I have a machine shop and will cut them as I need them. It is far cheaper to get them anodized locally after your finished machining and drilling them. I am still trying to get the Canadian Group Buy going for these, but I have had little interest so far.

Regards

Anthony

Canadian Group Buy

Coulomb,

No these prices are from Thermaflo. I got the basic prices, did the calculations for cutting and anodizing, and then got verification (from Thermaflo) via email about my per-unit estimates.

I believe the $44.00 per lot charge to cut and anodize is very attractive. That works out to less than $2.25 per heatsink. I know I cannot get it anodized here in Silicon Valley at anywhere near that price.

If we wanted to get 8 heatsinks out of 1 ea 8 foot extrusion, they would be 11.125 inches each. Loosing .875 inch does not make a significant difference in the theta spec. Each heatsink would be less than $30.00.

The part that is the killer is the shipping charges. If we could figure out a way to distribute the heatsinks more economically, we would have a winner. Is there some one in the Plano, Texas area who could pick up and ship the onesie-twosie quantities? My $20.00 price is based on USPS and UPS quotes 10 lbs California to New York. Does anybody know of a more economical way to ship a 14” x 14” x 6” – 10 lb box?

If Coulomb and Gulbrandsen wanted to combine their orders (24 ft seems to be the first significant price break) and order 5 bars. Have Thermaflo do a split the shipment, (3 bars to Coulomb, 2 bars to Gulbrandsen) you would save the most money. I cannot speak for Thermaflo, but splitting orders is common, I would be surprised if they objected. Thermaflo might let you mix some bars cut and anodized with some bars raw.

For myself, unless the shipping costs are reduced, the Conrad products I mentioned earlier seem to me to be the best solution. I do not want to be looking for an anodizing house and have 6 feet of spare extrusion laying around. (I expect to be moving soon)

Regards,

Aud_Mot

I'm 5 hours drive from Plano and may be interested in this group buy, but expect to be moving and having a pool installed and all of the various headaches associated with a move in the next 3 weeks. I would like 800 watts or so and may have a friend convinced to buy the same, and I would be able to help in a month or so. I have a chop saw that can make flawless cuts for up to about 3" x 8" extrusions. beyond that I could rough cut for reshipping.

Well I have another quote for a different profile from R-Theta. Profile # 65340 is the same profile as last years group buy.

This year's price is $54 CAD per 12" section which includes a finished product including Black Anodizing. That's FOB the Toronto Warehouse, shipping can be calculated at approximately $1 per pound. The 12" piece is about 11 pounds times the number of pieces required, equals your shipping costs.

We need a minimum of 50 pieces to make the price break of $54 or less. All taxes would also apply of course.

This purchase would be open to US members as the vendor is willing to Drop ship from it's buffalo location. $US price would be about $40 US and would count towards the 50 piece minimum for the group buy. I would like to see us hit a higher quantity if we go ahead to maybe get a better price.

Here is some info on this extrusion.

Attachments

• 65340_0001.jpg
    65340_0001.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 421
12" Finish cut and Anodized will be $52.50 Ea. CAD assuming a group buy of 50 Pieces or more.

If we get to a 100 pieces the price drops to $49.58 CAD ea.

Thier is a setup charge of $50 that will be split amoungst the number of buyers, not the number of pieces. I think that sounds the most fair.

Based on today's exchange rate that works out to $39.37 US ea. based on the 50 buy price.

Regards

Anthony

I'd prefer to keep this group order from Thermaflow in the U.S.. Its still less expensive for a 14" piece vs. a 12" piece from R-Theata. I would NEVER have it anodized by the heatsink vendor as it will be drilled and tapped for mounting things and this leaves bright unnodized spots. I also prefer to have all my stuff Hard Coat Anodized after machining all at once so it is color matched. Hard Coating is also far more durable and does not fade to purple over time as does regular Black Anodize. Gee, I can have these sinks Hard Coated for less than they charge for anodizing!

Mark

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
"Due to very high shipping costs from Thermaflo in the US, I have decided to go with R-Theta for Canadian buyers."

Hard to believe that you didn't check that aspect out first!! Of course its more expensive to ship from the U.S. to Canada...and vise sersa.

Mark

Aside from your uncanny wit Mark, the reason I was quoting Thermaflo was for US Members before Aud_Mot decided to run a US group buy. If you read more and said less you may have caught that in my notes.

Your ability to point out the obvious seems only to be eclipsed by your inability to spell.

Regards

Anthony

I know I could use a couple feet of Thermaflo E3096. Is anyone else still interested? Unfortunately I don't have a power saw... just an 'armstrong' miter box (actually it's a Nobex Champion 180, and I do have a blade that is said to be capable of cutting non-ferrous metal... but I haven't tried it and couldn't vouch for the results.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.