Speakers Worthy of Pass Amps?

After unintentionally hijacking the Sony VFET Part 2 thread asking for opinions
on speakers that excel with Papa's amps, I've decided to ask my questions in a new thread.

What speaker design do you find most satisfying and/or revealing for our beloved 25 watt Pass amps?

Is your amp SE or PP or do you have both?

Do you prefer a 3 way, 2 way, passive, biamped, or full range?

OB or box?

Ancient technology or new high tech drivers?

I'm especially interested in hearing impressions from those who have experienced
different combinations of the above to see if there are common threads that arise.

The following and posts 2-18 were kindly moved by the moderator from the VFET thread to this new thread:
Your english is very good being it is your second language.

+1 :up:

Proton76, your english is much better than my ________. (Fill in the blank) :D

Where do you cross over your drivers?

And yes, thanks for sharing info on your speaks. My next challenge is to decide on a set of speakers that are efficient, and worthy of my Pass amps!

Last edited:
+1 :up:

Proton76, your english is much better than my ________. (Fill in the blank) :D

Where do you cross over your drivers?

And yes, thanks for sharing info on your speaks. My next challenge is to decide on a set of speakers that are efficient, and worthy of my Pass amps!

____French____

I cross over the TAD at 650Hz, I could choose between 500Hz to 1Khz, those drivers are good for a large range.
The TAD is more precise, the 406 has a better 'texture' (I don't know what is the word, it's less 'disembodied')

For the 406 I use a sort of small horn in the spirit of the voice of the theater or of the ALTEC 816. The natural cut off of thoses horn is 150Hz, so I have no choice.
I had a pair 515 with a pair of 816 before, I had apreciated this very much for the "punch"...
I have a litle "punch" with the 406, but nothing compare to the voice of the theater.
Without the horn I would have cut around 100Hz.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
whatever you fancy ............ :clown:

I'm generally sucker for speakers :rofl:

anyway :

- I have RCA LC1B in workshop
- these in living room
-constructed some nice ones ..... for instance with Sonido drivers -
-have bunch of drivers on shelves , going from 8" FR , through 13" ER , come old compression squawkers

I like them all , as long there is something substantial as bass foundation , they don't need plenty of Watts ( then you have sensitivity (not mixing it with efficiency)) ....and as long I'm getting them for sane amount of greenies .........

Reactions: 1 user
Whaaat?? you actually use your LC1Bs? As rare as they are, now I'm really impressed! I've only read about their magic.

Not long ago I saw a pair for sale for an outrageous price. They were really beat up with all of their peaks smooshed in!

Your other projects are very fantugly indeed!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well , I'm in sort of Audio-retirement , as they say for Tannoy users ..... stop complicating things , and chill :rofl:

decade or even more ago , I would go , say , with something as Beyond the Ariel route, nowadays I'm not investing more efforts than needed for spks I mentioned in #2395

besides that , count on fact that I'm cheapskate ....... really not having enough greenies to go with olde WE horns and WE555 (decent clone , most probably) , which would be my logical choice

Reactions: 1 user
well , I'm in sort of Audio-retirement , as they say for Tannoy users ..... stop complicating things , and chill :rofl:

decade or even more ago , I would go , say , with something as Beyond the Ariel route, nowadays I'm not investing more efforts than needed for spks I mentioned in #2395

besides that , count on fact that I'm cheapskate ....... really not having enough greenies to go with olde WE horns and WE555 (decent clone , most probably) , which would be my logical choice

I would hear a lot of legendary speakers... WE555 are hugly, but a lot of people love them.
Thank.

Mighty ZM, what speaker set up do you find most satisfying for our Papa amps?

Do you prefer 2 way or 3 way? Old school ancient drivers like altec, jbl, etc. or new tech like TAD & Radian BE?

Klipsch Jubilees for deep pockets. Change the driver out for a Tad is what is trendy now. Some diy speakers that are outstanding for the price are Cornscala's by Bob Crites. Then there are Used K-horns and LaScala's for decent prices. I am using some modified LaScala's with a good big sub.

You made me think to a guy who wanted to retired too.
He had a big system with Vitaxox comp. d. , multi cellular horn, 4 way etc...
I hasked him, how he will listen music, and he show me an WE713 pair, (he present me this like a tresor...).
He wanted to make a little sytstem with that.
An ohther, have passed a very long time making vacum amp and big system, and know he ave a pair of WE555.
W.E. must have something spécial...
WE753C are legendary too.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Gentlemen,
This speaker discussion is very interesting. I'm actually looking at new speakers
for a small room (11 feet x 18 feet x 8feet) but have never considered these
big speakers before. In your experience is this something I might look into or is the
room simply too small for them?

I was at a dealer last week and he had an F7 driving a pair of these:

http://www.gershmanacoustics.com/uploads/gap_brochure.jpg

Sounded mighty fine.

After unintentionally hijacking the Sony VFET Part 2 thread asking for opinions
on speakers that excel with Papa's amps, I've decided to ask my questions in a new thread.

What speaker design do you find most satisfying and/or revealing for our beloved 25 watt Pass amps?

Is your amp SE or PP or do you have both?

Do you prefer a 3 way, 2 way, passive, biamped, or full range?

OB or box?

Ancient technology or new high tech drivers?

I'm especially interested in hearing impressions from those who have experienced
different combinations of the above to see if there are common threads that arise.