F4 Beast Builders

OK Fellow Dumb Bastards.
The cat is gonna be out of the bag sooner or later, it may as well be sooner.
I'm not gonna give ya resistor values, I'm a believer in using ya dumb brain not copying.

Here is my circuit.
I may change from this before it's completed though I'm easily bored.

F4%20Beast%20Front%20End.png

You can cascode if you want, but the main reason papa did so in Sony is because the sony devices produce triode curves.
The IXYS devices are strongly pentode and capacitance isn't that high to lose sleep over, so adding cascode is really a personal choice not a requirement.

With the "correct" choice of IXYS devices it looks like cascoding of the output fets might only reduce input capacitance by about 50% with an 8R load, even less with lower load impedances.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
yeah I got the 0.00X at least and first in Spice even uncascoded......:D:D

I remembered that the original XA25 is said to have 20dB gain.
I always worked with 26dB gain, coming from XA30.5.

So I stayed for the gain resistor with a value of around 110R and choose a lower value for the feedback resistor, around 1k2.
Now with 20dB gain only,

it is no more problem to get for 1W at 8Ohm the 0.00x value.

Let us see next days what happens in reality.....:)

Not to speak of the work to get possible neg k2 phase or use of CFB.

All in all playing is really fun.

More awful is of course the part to hear what really sounds better.... I tend to avoid this part and admire Nelson and his people doing this in a great scale.

Attachments

• 0.00x distortion uncascoded.jpg
    0.00x distortion uncascoded.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 790
Not to speak of the work to get possible neg k2 phase or use of CFB.

All in all playing is really fun.

Hello brother
As an alternative to careful part selection, and other more technical techniques to achieve your goal, why not do something dumber.
If you add 0.05 Ohms (50 mOhms) to the source of the N Channel Mosfet it will give you the effect you want. I don't think this small amount of degeneration would hurt the natural bias scaling of the output stage. For the cost of a dollar it's worth a try.
Even 25 mOhms will do the trick (2 in parallel).
I might play with this myself. I like dumb ideas. Hahahaha
https://www.digikey.com.au/product-...ctronics-inc/MPR3JB50L0/MPR3JB50L0-ND/1646064

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, i will try it.
First i have to train me again to measure the residual with Virtins software to know Rallye what k2 Phase comes out.
Lhquam already told that you have to overwhelm a lot of pos k2 phase to come in the neg region.
By the way I can live with pos phase as well, sometimes I like it even more.