Pass XA25?

clever cheapskate can always joggle with approach to and difference between balanced , symmetrical and differential .......
:devilr:

When I was a boy, I was bloody hopeless with Christmas Presents. Hahahaha
The suspense is killing me.

What do you think of the possibility of old school White cathode follower, could that be defined as single ended?

Last edited:
From Xs manual: The original Aleph 0 from 1991 used an output stage which consisted of a push-pull Class A output stage operated in parallel with a high constant current output stage. The bias currents were high enough to operate to rated power in single-ended Class A, giving it a second harmonic signature, and as a push-pull topology at higher power levels.

Is this what you guys guess?

From Xs manual: The original Aleph 0 from 1991 used an output stage which consisted of a push-pull Class A output stage operated in parallel with a high constant current output stage. The bias currents were high enough to operate to rated power in single-ended Class A, giving it a second harmonic signature, and as a push-pull topology at higher power levels.

Is this what you guys guess?

Yes this is what I have been guessing, if not, then some more Papa genius.
Good chance it might be half of a regular XA.8 amp but biased higher than normal with a large share of single ended bias.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM knows Station

inputs are RCA , so there is no doubt

but , from rest of text ...... there are so many choices

SE or not :devily: , figures in A/8R , A/4R, A/AB/2R ....... not so many choices for OS

are there any complementary pucks ?

I tried to find complementaries for my thyristors , but nada ....... it seems I'm doomed on mosfets :rofl:

ZM knows Station

inputs are RCA , so there is no doubt

but , from rest of text ...... there are so many choices

SE or not :devily: , figures in A/8R , A/4R, A/AB/2R ....... not so many choices for OS

are there any complementary pucks ?

I tried to find complementaries for my thyristors , but nada ....... it seems I'm doomed on mosfets :rofl:

There are P Channel Pucks but not true complements, having said that there is no such thing as true complementary p channel parts, and if papa intentionally creates asymmetry by adding single ended biasing in parallel, then probably no need to have complementary parts in the first place, just find the closest match with regards to current, transconductance and power rating and Bob's your uncle.
Some quasi complementary set up wouldn't be out of the question either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are P Channel Pucks but not true complements ... Some quasi complementary set up wouldn't be out of the question either.

My guess is quasi-complementary since there don't seem to be any decently matching N-P hockey pucks (at least from IXYS) and the article talks about using a new CCS which "compensate(s) for temperature drift." Although a mismatched N-P complementary pair might give a more "single-ended" sound from increased second harmonic.

Altogether, it kind of rings like a BA3 with some sort of mu-follower output to me...

Last edited:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am in bed with the flu.

:violin:

Mostly you are wrong. The Villars photo showed a mock up of the circuit
I used as an illustration of cascoded performance that I showed at BAF,
and is not related to the XA25.

The XA25 has an RCA input and not balanced outputs. It is a very simple
amp that had surprising performance, however it is the intellectual property
of Pass Labs, and so remains under wrap.

I will tell you this so that you can reverse engineer it:

Three stages, DF is about 700, high current, high slew, .00x% distortion,
40 uV output noise, big Class A envelope, 25 watts into 8, 100 watts into 2.

And it sounds great.

Now back to bed.

:geezer:

I will tell you this so that you can reverse engineer it:

Three stages, DF is about 700, high current, high slew, .00x% distortion,
40 uV output noise, big Class A envelope, 25 watts into 8, 100 watts into 2.

:geezer:

Wish you fast recovery Mr.Pass.

Attachments

• WP_20161120_002.jpg
    WP_20161120_002.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 1,924