ZEN vs. high capacitance diy speaker cable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there

As I am building the Zen amp, and waiting for a pair of Fostex 206e to be delivered, I also though about the speaker cable to be used with this configuration. Just yesterday I bought 6m (3+3) gray ribbon cable. However, this cable is said to have a rather high capacitance, and some amps may oscillate. Check out this:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flatter_e.html

Anyone tried this with Zen? Comments?
Thanks,
Vix

Hi,

I'm an owner of an (not tweaked) aleph 60, and using diyCat5
speakercables.
I found some instability (hum)in my aleph so i'm currently using a zobel network with it.
They are connected to very badly 6 ohm speakers though. (next upgrade)
The strange (for me dissapointing) thing, was connecting these cables to an Hiraga amp, 20Watt version.
There was no instability (no hum) without zobel network. (also other speakers)
I found it strange, as hiraga uses (I think) more feedback, less bias current.
However the power supply has much more (overkill) capacitance, so maybe this is the cause.
Maybe the other cause is the speakers. (sensitivity)
Any explanations?

Regards,
Remco Blankesteijn.

It would be interesting to investigate this matter a bit further. It is a pity to build a good class A amplifier such as ZEN or Aleph, try to minimize sound quality loss with a good cable, but in fact do just the opposite. I know some folks freakin' about the choice of cables. As for me, I know they are not the most important part.(cables) However, I don't want the 'cable" to be the 'bottleneck' of the audio chain. As far I can see, high capacitance cable such is this ribbon risks doing just that. It will be nice to determine when the "improved"start doing more harm than good....

Regards,
Viktor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.