Australians - has anyone used harbuch line level transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
600ct is a 600 volt winding with a center tap. Not quite the same as 300+300 as you can use the latter as 600V in series or 300V in parallel.

Cheers. I do understand that - it's the naming convention in the document that's upsetting. They use 150+150 and 150:150 without a clue as to wether one of them means 600ct (nomclemature they also use) or if one means something else...

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Well I got through by phone - the ideal choice that they do isn't in stock, and they're currently relocating to black town, so I'm thinking trying for something not in supply might be ...optimistic. :)

They do however have 600R:600R output line transformers in stock and not at an unreasonable price either. I'd need 4 for a vfetron, but I imagine you could get by with one each for a pass schade amp...

Harbuch Transformers

Reference Harbuch, as has been said, sometimes a little wait. I think my toroid for the F6 took 3 weeks, but it had to be made as they were out of stock. Excellent to deal with, produce great quality and certainly an Australian company that deserves our support.
AHsJFJhC1JVdTiwNFHjIzQRYghQooATggIBTTTRlyNVL0Z4COQLoGuCnQgAduFxBEWgoDaMibGzFWSPmU4csj+wM1PKj1okIIUjp6WEESB+BGGKhQHUrj5U6CaosGTVmjgxZfDhtogIpxgAJAgBgmZTpC5kNAxkcmaIq1B1PgSotWCgQzyIagHx4afCnFZqFdF5IKWCKgGENQxAxKdGi1yBCpWrMCCDCAC0TAdrsuGRDyAcYFIJ0QSDAAIIEiQBEYpWEh5JXTySZAQBmxYADD8KQaOQCTi8cXFZ5cGRBDYRUZd6AuiFnIIhOW1QQucCBFxJMLM7QFTgiioNZheYuAgwIADs=

I used Harbuch for some years. Good products.
However, the present owner, Peter, is not organised and his business is diminishing.

The line transformers are reputed very good. They were designed by the previous owner, Peter Buchtmann, who was a very clever trafo designer and is still retained for his valuable expertise.

If you live in Sydney, and you are close, maybe he is OK since you can visit and put a face to the order. Otherwise, it's 'problematic'.

Hugh

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks all for the input.

I'm in no rush, so I've put an order in for a couple of their quadfilar line transfo's (currently not in stock). I'm not anticipating successful fulfillment of the order, but I figured I'd give them a chance at least.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks!

:)
Well we will see. I got an email back today around my order (expected fulfillment is roughly end of the month) and I doubled down and asked for two 600:600 line transformers to be added to the order.
Fingers crossed eh? :)

Any luck?

I have a new idea for a toroidal power transformer, just waiting on the quote.
I would love to be able to support an Australian manufacturer (bloody dying breed).
If it's not more than a Plitron then I'll get the Harbuch.

I placed an order with Harbuch before starting the M2 build
The order was confirmed and a date set to manufacture and deliver
That date past and two subsequent dates also passed

I canceled because I had enough of excuses
First I ordered a German made unit that proved to be incompatible with the M2
Then I ordered a Noratel - and now it’s pure bliss

FR

Last edited:
I have never bought Line transformer but power transformers; I would not recommend this firm several of the power transformers i bought had very short lives but no replacement and they are very .Expensive; now i buy from China much better transformers and so much cheaper.
Phil

What exactly do you mean by short lives?
The big reason (other than Australian made) that they are more expensive than the Chinese stuff is that they have much better performance specifications.
I currently use Antek and they are good, but they are not in the same ball park as Harbuch, Harbuch are significantly better, specs wise.
Plitron are expensive too, but you do get something back in return for the high price.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yup, I gave up in the end.

It's a shame really. If I lived in Sydney I'd just pop in and buy what I need from what he has on-site and leave it at that.

The harbuch power transfos I have are great, and powering a few things I've made, but I got them second hand. Buying direct has just been far too hard.

Hard to fault him though. If his bread is buttered elsewhere I can see how tiny orders like ours fall to the bottom of the heap.

What exactly do you mean by short lives?
The big reason (other than Australian made) that they are more expensive than the Chinese stuff is that they have much better performance specifications.
I currently use Antek and they are good, but they are not in the same ball park as Harbuch, Harbuch are significantly better, specs wise.
Plitron are expensive too, but you do get something back in return for the high price.

I bought a lot of Harbuch Toriodals tranformers OVER THE YEARS.
Nothing but trouble windings that where not working at all, but would not replace!! Transformers with much higher voltages than ordered
Two toriodals went up in smoke still refused to replace
The Chinese ones I buy now the regulation is far better; voltages are much more accurate and no windings missing or not working.
I prefer tube amps class b or AB2 you benefit from good regulation that is why I prefer toriodals.
Now Harbuch even charge extra for design I priced two 7 henry chokes was cheaper to buy from Sowter in England with the huge freight charges
I even had Harbuch on recieval were shorted on the mains.
I agree Antek are not perfect and Wish they would wind 120-*120 as is the voltage used in the USA is no longer 115-115.
Good you have had no problems
Phil

Well at the moment I am acquiring quotes for a 500VA transformer with dual secondaries with 20Vac and 25Vac taps on each secondary.
The intent is to kill three birds with one stone ie 25Vdc unregulated, 25V to 27Vdc regulated, and 33Vdc unregulated all from the one transformer.

Anyone interested in a possible group buy?

Quotes are coming from
Plitron
Richard Sumner
Tortech
Nuvotem Talema

Outside diameter will be between 135mm and 140mm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.