What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There, got a crappy one with phone. All ready to slide into pizza oven. In #569, all the ground pads have nothing soldered to them. The JBL amp doesn't hum for some reason. I have had that happen before, test with it, quiet, put in Diy Clone and hums. Think I went through this with Wayne's line stage also. Got quiet once in chassis.

When spread out board style, what can one ground to?

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just got a FedEx notice, should have chassis in couple days, 4/22 allegedly.
This same thing occurred with my 2018 BA linestage during its "on bare board" stage.

I made mine pretty much as 6L6 did for 2018 BA linestage, followed itsallinmyhead's for this one but mine is hummmmm festival. Unless JBL amp used...for some reason it is hum proof. At least I have this thing working. In mean time, checking board part by part, and getting computer to upload pics!

Russellc

Attachments

• IMG_4743.JPG
    IMG_4743.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you're overthinking it

- be sure that there is no Big Donut close enough to evoke magnetic hum
-if "chassis" pad isn't connected to IEC safety GND pin - connect it
-if "chassis" pad is connected to IEC safety GND pin - disconnect it
-if that not helps, connect "chassis" pad to amplifier chassis (be inventive) , maybe that will help

of course that situation should be clearer and easier once when you have case at home, but damn thing must sing now, without hum

maybe you already did all of above, but you didn't said anything ...... :clown:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
you're overthinking it

- be sure that there is no Big Donut close enough to evoke magnetic hum
-if "chassis" pad isn't connected to IEC safety GND pin - connect it
-if "chassis" pad is connected to IEC safety GND pin - disconnect it
-if that not helps, connect "chassis" pad to amplifier chassis (be inventive) , maybe that will help

of course that situation should be clearer and easier once when you have case at home, but damn thing must sing now, without hum

maybe you already did all of above, but you didn't said anything ...... :clown:

Well it sings fine with mule amp. That thing never hummms for some reason ,no matter what I hook up to it. Got to figure out why this computer is only letting me upload 1 pic at time

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Does the 2016 board have the gain jumpers? I'm working on some M2X mono blocks... Iron + Iron???? Great it's working!!!!! We are loving ZM preamp creation around here—get's daily use..
Oh and Russellc, how do you like those Tektons?

No, the 2016 does not have gain jumpers. I like the Tektons just fine, plenty of efficiency for these amps.

There is no doubt there is a way to wire it for the higher gain position, but at 24 hrs per wire it may not be feasible!;)

Russellc

Attachments

• IMG_4756.JPG
    IMG_4756.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited: