What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
read linked blog post and what's written here

say that 6db is sweet spot to max 12db of gain , achieved with autoformer are realistic to shoot at , everything above is stretching the concept - nonpractical and more steps back than forward

think of output impedance , square ratio of voltage ratio .......

b) it really depends of several factors , but good xformer when properly fed and properly loaded , is hard to beat in signal energy preservation department.
however , there are electronic solution for that (se to bal) task , but I can vouch only for solutions where two output phases are intrinsically connected , contrary to often used OP based circuits , where existing phase is just flipped with OP and voila ...... you have both legs , but for me they're as from different persons

nothing wrong with Frankenstein , but he's not audio signal :clown:

Appreciate your insight as always. Below is slightly off topic from the iron pre but transformer related so please bear with me.

Presently trying out my just completed BA3 balanced pre connected to my SE F5TV3 monos. Using just the + phase and shorting the- to grnd thru a 47.5K resistor as suggested by you. Thinking of connecting the balanced output of each channel to a Jensen JT11P1 to convert from balanced to SE to connect to the monos. (Planning on converting the F5TV3 to balanced eventually) This would also allow me to eliminate the output coupling caps in the pre (differential offset when hot is under 10mv). What do you think? Any sonic advantage or waste of money?

Thanks. nash

Joined 2006
Paid Member
did I suggest shorting negative output to gnd ?
I simply cannot remember that ......

whatever - try bal to se conversion through xformer and let your ears decide .....

also - prior to trying xformer , let your ears decide is it better grounding negative output , or leaving it unloaded

You actually answered a question for me in either the M2 or the F6 thread about one of these single ended amps taking a balanced cable connection. I suggested the shorting of neg to ground, as that is how the Aleph J board is treated for single ended input.

You answered that not all balanced sources would respond well to shorting the neg, and that 47K ohm across the neg to ground would better simulate a balanced output to a balanced source.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes , it's perfect

connect it this way (gain 6db) :

Attachments

• JT123FLPCH for Iron pre.jpg
    JT123FLPCH for Iron pre.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,173