A-X IP Issues (split from Builders thread)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aleph-x kit

An Aleph-X kit modified from Grey's design I found in diyzone.net

FYI

Thomas

Attachments

• aleph-x29.jpg
    aleph-x29.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 3,871
They always show such beautiful work - and very well doccumented.
Without the language pack installed on my web browser i think i
can see Mr. Pass and Mr. Rollins referred to in the write up...

But out of respect, they should have some mention of PassLabs
and their patents on the PCB... if you have enough room for your
URL, there's enough for what should be essential. :mad:

(at the very least it's bad Karma... those amps will never sound as
good as they should...)

m.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The question is whether they are selling this at a profit, which
they may be. I can't enforce a patent in Taiwan, but my
distributor can chase them for trademark infringement with
regards to "Aleph" and "Pass". Grey may have some rights,
but I don't think he has a distributor in Taiwan.

In any case, as I have said elsewhere, this is the sort of thing
that keeps Hugh Dean and others from publishing their work, and
so in the long run I think it hurts the community of DIYers.

moe29 said:
They always show such beautiful work - and very well doccumented.
Without the language pack installed on my web browser i think i
can see Mr. Pass and Mr. Rollins referred to in the write up...

But out of respect, they should have some mention of PassLabs
and their patents on the PCB... if you have enough room for your
URL, there's enough for what should be essential. :mad:

(at the very least it's bad Karma... those amps will never sound as
good as they should...)

m.

yeah i completely agree, and i agree with Mr. Pass' comment that things like that kill the diy world :( :( :(

And you'd think the designer of the board would be decent enough to give credit to the right people [himself/herself probably being a diyer in the first place]

Intellectual property is a term that doesn't exist in asian nomenclature. If you can make it, it's yours to profit from. I don't want to come through as a bigot, but if one watches CNN's Lou Dobbs show or any other news source it becomes clear that the rest of the world is eager to benefit in any way possible from the american system. I work for a big touring and systems integration company (Clair Brothers). I get solicitations from chinese companies that make chaep perfect clones of audio, video and lighting equipment developed by american or european companies on a regular basis. How can they clone the gear so easilly? Because the stupid CEO's use chinese factories to manufacture their products cheaply. Guess what, the factories make extra runs of the gear they were contracted to manufacture and slap their own name on it. Then they sell it at the same cost to end users or distributors in other countries undercutting the original developers of the products. The most offensive exampe of that behavior in recent months was shown on Lou Dobbs show in regards to General Motors. They developed a compact car for the Asian market and had it manufactured in their own factories in China. Before their product even hit the dealerships in China, there was an identical car with a chinese brand name sold in China, obviously manufactured in the same (GM funded) factory. If that's not immoral or unethical then I don't know what is.
Let them develop their own technology and have it compete with the rest of the world. Chinese people are not dumber than american or any other nationality. Stealing ideas is as wrong as stealing physical products. I wonder what can we steal in return. There must be something uniquely asian that's worth having.... Anybody?

Thunau said:
Intellectual property is a term that doesn't exist in asian nomenclature. If you can make it, it's yours to profit from. I don't want to come through as a bigot, but if one watches CNN's Lou Dobbs show or any other news source it becomes clear that the rest of the world is eager to benefit in any way possible from the american system. I work for a big touring and systems integration company (Clair Brothers). I get solicitations from chinese companies that make chaep perfect clones of audio, video and lighting equipment developed by american or european companies on a regular basis. How can they clone the gear so easilly? Because the stupid CEO's use chinese factories to manufacture their products cheaply. Guess what, the factories make extra runs of the gear they were contracted to manufacture and slap their own name on it. Then they sell it at the same cost to end users or distributors in other countries undercutting the original developers of the products. The most offensive exampe of that behavior in recent months was shown on Lou Dobbs show in regards to General Motors. They developed a compact car for the Asian market and had it manufactured in their own factories in China. Before their product even hit the dealerships in China, there was an identical car with a chinese brand name sold in China, obviously manufactured in the same (GM funded) factory. If that's not immoral or unethical then I don't know what is.
Let them develop their own technology and have it compete with the rest of the world. Chinese people are not dumber than american or any other nationality. Stealing ideas is as wrong as stealing physical products. I wonder what can we steal in return. There must be something uniquely asian that's worth having.... Anybody?

very well said...

:eek: I cant wait to see results from mark's amp... i hope it goes well :)

Btw Thunau, where you at in PA? i'm in butler, pa, (western pa, 20 miles above pittsburgh or so...) (sorry for the off topicness...) speaking of topics...

Is it suggested to use 1% resistors? and it *is* highly suggested to match fets correct?... Does anyone have the link to the procedure, i've seen it around, but dont know what hapepned to it

Have a good day
;) kS

I'm sorry for the off topic reply too. I'm in Lancaster PA, and my empoyer is in Lititz, about 10 miles north.
Here is my "real" contribution to the thread. A source of inexpensive transformers for the Aleph-X:
16V 17.5 A dual secondary transformers for $45.00 a piece
I bought two. With 3.5A bias these will comfortably do 50W in 8 Ohm load with 4 power transistors. I'm planning on 4 such channels. Then I'm going to build a higher power version to drive a 4 Ohm load to about 60W. I'll need a lower voltage trafo. Anyone got a source?

Notes on the Taiwanese Aleph X

Thunau said:

1. I would like point out I have no connection, personally or businesswise, with DIYZONE.NET, therefore this is not a defense statement.

2. I agree that DIYZONE should have the courtesy of sending both Nelson and Grey a note of their intention of selling the Aleph X kits (its a kitset, yes, with case and everthing included).

3. I have participated in Chad Simpson's group purchase of the Aleph X PCB.

4. I do not live in Taiwan.

Having expressed the above disclaimer, this is the facts I would like to point out:

1. In the writeup of the Taiwanese version of the Aleph X, the author did mention the patent's of Mr Pass, in particular the "Super Symmetry" topology.

2. The whole thing started in December 2002 when someone posted in the DIYZONE discussion group the elegance of the "HiFiZen" version of the Aleph X, and was disappointed that he was late to join the group purchase. There was then a vote to start a "Taiwan group order" of their own, there were over 100 interested in this local group order.

3. There have been lengthy discussion for the subsequent months which circuit to built (Aleph 2, 5, X, etc.), their consensus, in the end, was still the X.

4. I still think they owe Nelson and Grey a formal request of some sort.

5. On Thunau's comments, I found quite being offended, being a Chinese myself. On the note of the disrespect of the intellectual property issue, I would respectively point out that, in the black markets of Hongkong, at least half, if not more, of the customer of the pirated software is not Asian.

6. On the note of the world trying to benefit from the American system, it is a bit biased (I hope the moderator will not sin bin me on this) as this is the American way of seeing the world being American centred.

7. On clones of audio video equipment, please note that in the 1950s and 1960s, Japanese had been labelled the same, and they have excelled into designing better gears. There are now lots of Chinese manufacturers, many of them competing in the Tube arena, and also low end DVD equipment, designed and manufactured in China. I can supply web sites if anyone is interested.

8. The GM example quoted, may have been distorted (probably by the media). At this moment in time, major manufacturing plants in China can only be a JV between a foreign company and a local investment as the majority shareholder. The foreign company imports the technolgy and probably the management, and the local supply the rest (people, land, etc.). The product then can be marketed in either the foreign brand name or a local brand (and may have a price disparaity and target for a different market segment). This will change though immeniently with the WTO agreement.

9. One point to note also, that Asian have participated in many American innovations and designs.

10. Finally, if I have offended anyone, my apologies.

Henry

Henry

Americans sure have a generally biased viewpoint of the world situation (about half of the people im among on everyday basis are either american or british), so does the britts for that kind of matter, but the issue of chineese ripoffs is though real. Denmark lives on design in many ways, and i have personally seen stuff made in taiwan or china that is patented in denmark. The only sanction a danish company is able to do to such a ripoff (even with patent and so forth) is usually to block the import to denmark (the commercial part, not private import), they can mostly even block the import to EU....but thats where it ends.

So, considering that i know a few cases of such "ripoffs" that have caused huge loss to the rightfull owners of the patents....id be carefull defending violation of patent rights with a phrase like "only half of whats on the black market is made in taiwan or china" and that some dont violate patent rights.

What is happening in china, taiwan, india and a few places in eastern europe as well (im sure there are others as well) is highly unacceptable, and should not be defended in any way.

When people start making PCB's for a patented product, they are as far as im concerned already on the wrong side of whats good. Pass have chosen to tolerate such buisness, though i sometimes wonder why. When people start making kits for a patented product, they have clearly crossed the line. Such low life should have a couple of lawayers on the neck.

hmm...i gotta stop before i blow up. This is simply too far out.

Magura:(

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Magura, I appreciate your viewpoint, and even more the
icon you have chosen for your personna. Please don't
change either.

I will say it again: If DIYZone is making these available without
profit, or in the case of group buy without profit, I don't have
objections. I believe that such efforts benefit the audio industry
overall, I believe some of it will come back to me anyways. Money
left over from group buys is best donated to this site.

I don't know that DIYZone is making a profit, and if I understand
the price of a complete kit to be $600, they are not making much.

I do know that my sales continue to increase, and that my
pocketbook has yet to complain, but that's the same as it ever
was. I've been getting ripped since 1975, and I'm looking
forward to my 30th getting ripped anniversary :cool:

/pass/: always looking for double entendre...

I can't say that about a lot of my competition, and in fact
I worry about them as much as myself - In a town with only
one lawyer, that lawyer starves. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Magura said:
Henry

Americans sure have a generally biased viewpoint of the world situation (about half of the people im among on everyday basis are either american or british), so does the britts for that kind of matter, but the issue of chineese ripoffs is though real. Denmark lives on design in many ways, and i have personally seen stuff made in taiwan or china that is patented in denmark. The only sanction a danish company is able to do to such a ripoff (even with patent and so forth) is usually to block the import to denmark (the commercial part, not private import), they can mostly even block the import to EU....but thats where it ends.

So, considering that i know a few cases of such "ripoffs" that have caused huge loss to the rightfull owners of the patents....id be carefull defending violation of patent rights with a phrase like "only half of whats on the black market is made in taiwan or china" and that some dont violate patent rights.

What is happening in china, taiwan, india and a few places in eastern europe as well (im sure there are others as well) is highly unacceptable, and should not be defended in any way.

When people start making PCB's for a patented product, they are as far as im concerned already on the wrong side of whats good. Pass have chosen to tolerate such buisness, though i sometimes wonder why. When people start making kits for a patented product, they have clearly crossed the line. Such low life should have a couple of lawayers on the neck.

hmm...i gotta stop before i blow up. This is simply too far out.

Magura:(

Magura,

I must made myself clear I am not a supporter of pirated anything. In fact, I have always buy genuine (but my pocket book hurts quite a bit). As an engineer, I understand the importance of intellectual property. I fully agree with youy view point as to the infringer to the IP rights must be prosecuted. In my opinion, Mr Pass (and Grey Rollins as well) has been the most generous person in sharing his ideas with everyone, As I said earlier, I participated in the Chad group purchase of the Aleph X PCB and I have enjoyed the result.

What I was trying to point out was the fact that in a commercial world, supply and demand are complementary. There are 50% customer of pirated software being non-Asian implied the market is international. The market is driven by the internalion demand! I am not saying only half the black market is Chinese and therefore it is OK to do so. It is still plainly wrong to participate! We must all face the fact everyone must take an effort here to rectify the situation.

I would also like to emphasis I am not defending the case, but I am trying to point out some facts for everyone's benefit, as I understand not too many from this forum has a opportunity to read the story in full.

The software these days are quite expensive that for example, I would not be able to have a PCB layout software that is affordable for me to design PCB larger than 100mmX100mm! I can then only either jump on the group purchase bandwagon, or hope that some nice guys would have a similar PCB somewhere.

I would also like to raise a question for discussion: What about the use of office software for your DIY hobby? Is there a violation of the rights of the designer of the property?

Please excuse me if I have fuelled more to your flames on this subject.

PS: correction, the ripoff actions do not just come from Chinese (although it is a common believe), but also the SE Asian as well, e.g. look at the Polo shirt counterfeits in Bangkok (excuse me Chaps in Thailand).

PPS: the kits from DIYZONE are also a group purchase, for one time only, as far as I understand (maybe it is still unlawful to do so).

Henry

Joined 2001
Paid Member
diyzone kits sold for nt 15000,about us 450
not us 600 as mention by Mr Nelson Pass.
they buy 10000pcs IR Irf240, match to .01v
use eight 105'c 22000u rifa cap per 2 channel
fully tailored made metal cases,etc
do you think they are for money or for fun

arthur said:
diyzone kits sold for nt 15000,about us 450
not us 600 as mention by Mr Nelson Pass.
they buy 10000pcs IR Irf240, match to .01v
use eight 105'c 22000u rifa cap per 2 channel
fully tailored made metal cases,etc
do you think they are for money or for fun

Do you know DIY ZONE plainly copy more than 450 pairs of ProAc response 2.5 and force the ProAc distributor Taiwan to make some statements in audio journal?

DIY ZONE not just COPY ProAc Response 2.5, but Response one SC and maybe Response 3.8 are also on the way right now.

Someone advised DIY ZONE owner LIMIN WU it is immoral to "clone/copy" well-known designs, but he just said: "We are talking about "BUSINESS" without any emotion" You may ask someone to check what he spoke for all people on the diyaudio.

I know the speaker units suppliers SEAS, Scan-Speak and manufacturer ProAc are also watching. Let's wait and see what's going on!

Aleph-x

Intellectual property is a term that doesn't exist in asian nomenclature.
I just wanted to point out that Aleph-X builders should not support those criminals,

Well, first of all, I would like to apologize for creating this messy "religious" war un-intentionally, as I am a DIYer and an IP supporter! I would paritcularly wanted to apologize to Nelson Pass and Grey Rollins for this mess I have posted earlier. I made my BZLS and Aleph-5 from Nelson's unselfishly sharing and I got 4 boards from Grey and hifizen's group project. I am an Asian American and I found out the two quotes above quite offending! I refused to use pirated software since I have my first PC in 1988 and I still hold this as of today! I also cherish the American value that until proven guilty, we "do not" judge by our own opinion and/or narrowtive mind! (we can say our opinion, but not judge it!)

Since I am the person who created the problem, can I ask everyone to focus on how we can do it better, to enforce this DIY idea and uphold the IP and rights and not attacking one another senselessly?

Thomas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.