Pioneer SX-1280 vs Aleph 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am in the extremely slow process of building Aleph 2 monos. I am very excited about the project, since this is my first DIY attempt I'm taking my time. So far I got the sinks, pcbs, and caps.
Currently I have a Pioneer SX-1280 running through an old pair of Jensen Model 6's. About the only thing stock about the Jensen's is the crossover, mids, and tweeters; mid-woofer, and sub have been changed. Crystal clear highs, bone crushing lows, tons of power. When the meters are reading 50W output, its loud enough to **** of the neighbors. When its putting out the full 185 watts, it doesnt flinch, in my view its amazing. In its time, I believe this receiver was considered mid/hi-fi.
Since I have nothing really to compare it to; I'm wondering how does the sound of the SX-1280(if anybody out there has heard one) compare to the Aleph 2, or is the 1280 not even in the same league as the Aleph 2.

Aleph 2 Class A 100W@8
Pioneer SX-1280 Class AB 185W@8

I know there not in the same "league", but you get the gist

oh yeah...................................DIY AUDIO RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks in advance,

John H.

I have a SX 950. These were excelent peices of equipment in their day and by far much better equipment than you can buy at a big box store today. But....they are harsh and a little thin on the sound stage. It's the old Japanese transistor sound that all of the tube people hate. But the old Pioneers do have the balls to push a speaker. Even 4 ohms.

After I first hooked my Alephs in place of my SX 950, it was truely an eye opening experience. I first somewhat dismissed it as elation that something that I built even worked, but after reconnecting the SX 950 to finish the case and rework the PSU, I couldn't stand to listen any more. It was really that much better.

I've read most of Randy Sloan's book on Amplifers, and the Amp in the old Pioneer (I bought the service manual) is a bit primative and lacking many possible refinements. The front end uses a resistor as a current source, lots of crappy caps in signal chain, but a hausy set of outputs.

If I had a SX1280, I'de shure hold on to it, but an Aleph with a good preamp will turn a Neandertal into an audiophile.

God I wish this had a spell check built in.

I'm in the same process as MEGA-amp. I got most of the componentents and I'm taking my time at it.

I was wondering how is an Aleph going to sound next to a Nakamichi PA-5. I belive it's one of Mr. pass's creations also. The sound is execellent but it doesn't have nearly enough power to drive my very inefficiant pride and joy AR-9's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.