ono balanced output - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2004, 02:56 PM   #1
pamaz is offline pamaz  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default ono balanced output

Hi everybody.
In these days I'm putting together a few things.
Among them an aleph p1.7 and an aleph ono.
Looking at the ono schematic, the output is balanced via the "additional circuit" that on the original aleph ono stands on the lower part of the drawing , that "buffers and reverse" the direct output from the real riaa amplification stage.
I'm almost sure that this kind of circuitry works in a wonderful way, but anyway I would be pleased to know if somebody has ever tried to get the balanced output via a signal transformer, instead than using the original design.
If some of you has made this experience, can i have some hints on this arrangement, ( type-model of transformer) and for sure the impressions of the comparison with the original design?

Thanks a lot and bye everybody

Paolo Mazza
Old 1st March 2004, 06:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default nobody can help me?

Seems that nobody has made this choice.
Can you help me in order to define the choice criteria for the transformer Please?

Bye

Paolo Mazza
Old 1st March 2004, 11:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer Choices

Look over on the solid state site and look for options. The Jensen and S & B line come to mind. The Jensen are about 70.00 each.
I have a pair of S&B 410 that were only 70.00 a pair when purchased. Sowter and Lundahl among other sell lower cost items.
When looking at transformers they are listed as whether they are an output transformer or an input. There are differences in the impdeances.

George
Old 1st March 2004, 01:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions Panelhead.
I'll check the solid state forum.
In any case, my desire to investigate this matter on the ono, is due mainly to the fact that the original balancing stage is making his job on the electrical side, No doubt that it's doing his job also "musicallywise" ( i haven't heard it but i can only trust both the designer than our "colleagues" on the forum that have realised the ONO in its original configuration) .
My point is just on the aesthetical side of the design.
I'm just trying (for my personal knowledge ;NO critique at all both to Mr. Pass than to Mr. Colburn), to understand why such a choice was made, when probably a transformer could be easily implemented to achieve the balanced output.
Probably here is my mistake. I don't know if the practical implementation of a transformer is that easy/effective.

Thanks and bye.

Paolo
Old 3rd March 2004, 12:39 AM   #5
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: ono balanced output

Quote:
Originally posted by pamaz
I would be pleased to know if somebody has ever tried to get the balanced output via a signal transformer, instead than using the original design.
Paolo Mazza
Hi, I recently built an ONO phono stage and experimented a bit with transformer output. This was really done to help track done some hum when I first wired everything together. I originally listened to the unit with everything sitting on a piece of wood and noticed some hum. To rule out any ground loops, I put some jensen transformers on the output. It didn't fix the hum, which was just stray magnetic field pick up, but it did make a nice change to the sound and gave an overall improvement My preamp is single ended, so I wasn't getting any benefit from the balanced operation, but I still enjoyed the transformer option more than running it without the transformer.

---Gary
Old 3rd March 2004, 11:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi GaryB.
Can you give an idea on which transformer you addressed your choice for your experiment?

Thanks.
Paolo
Old 4th March 2004, 12:20 AM   #7
GaryB is offline GaryB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Jensens

The transformers I used were some Jensen line input transformers. They are pretty similar to the JT-11P transformer, but a slightly older model. Datasheets are here:
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/11p1.pdf

While I guess there is advantage to use a transformer explicitly designed as a line output transformer, these seemed to work well.
---Gary

Hide this!Advertise here!