Developing a Regulated Dual Rail Power Supply For FirstWatt Amps - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2016, 11:40 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Instead of a cap I could put a 24V battery in parallel with the output as another thing to try
Old 14th May 2016, 12:10 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Modified circuit to give flat 25mOhm output impedance

Click the image to open in full size.

Output impedance

Old 14th May 2016, 10:16 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

For reference, for the stock ccrcc supply (15000u, 15000u, 0.12 Ohms, 15000u, 15000u) here is the impedance.
I don't know if I am just super anal about this (maybe just a bloody storm in a teacup) but I don't like the rising impedance response below 100Hz where there is a lot of bass energy.

Old 14th May 2016, 11:45 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

If the amplifier dissipates 180 watts during operation, as the Firstwatt F6's owners manual states, and if the raw unregulated supplys are ± 30 volts as shown in the simulation files here, then the DC bias current is about 3 amps. The amp is rated for 50W into 4 ohms so that's an RMS output current of 3.5 amps and a peak output current of ± 5 amps. The PSU idles at 3A and is occasionally called upon to deliver 5A.

If the amplifier drives a full size square wave into a 4 ohm load, the output current of the PSU switches between 1 amp (it's a class A design so the current never falls to zero) and 5 amps. Delta-Current is 4 amps. If the PSU output impedance is 25 milliohms then the ripple on the "regulated" supply is 25*4 = 100 millivolts. Multiply this by the amplifier's PSRR, which is unlikely to be enormous for these kinds of common source amplifiers with very modest amounts of global feedback, and you get the equivalent input signal that a 100mV ripple on the "regulated" supply produces. Have your engineer run the numbers and see if she's pleased.
Old 14th May 2016, 11:55 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post

If the PSU output impedance is 25 milliohms then the ripple on the "regulated" supply is 25*4 = 100 millivolts. Multiply this by the amplifier's PSRR, which is unlikely to be enormous for these kinds of common source amplifiers with very modest amounts of global feedback, and you get the equivalent input signal that a 100mV ripple on the "regulated" supply produces. Have your engineer run the numbers and see if she's pleased.
Yes I understand all that but it's a lot better than 100mOhms of the stock supply.

What suggestions would you make following the KISS principle?
Old 15th May 2016, 12:11 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

If I throw 200000uF at the output I get 17mOhms at 20Hz

Old 15th May 2016, 12:27 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I'll put together a proper linear regulated supply just to keep our options open.

If we are going to do this seriously, we should explore all options I suppose.
Old 15th May 2016, 12:49 AM   #28
Ryssen is offline Ryssen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

How much is the dropoutvoltage?
Old 15th May 2016, 12:55 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryssen View Post
How much is the dropoutvoltage?
For regulated about 4V
For unregulated capacitance multiplier about 1V
Old 15th May 2016, 01:32 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default My First Attempt of A SIMPLE Discrete Linear Regulated Supply

Ok you better be bloody happy with this you bastards.

Output impedance less than 1mOhm.

I'll post the schematic later. I have to go out now.

Hide this!Advertise here!