Transformer p-s single stage Triadtron pushpull - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2016, 02:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer p-s single stage Triadtron pushpull

TRAFO-TRIADTRON-PUSHPULL.png

I have been driving to Örebro back and forth this weekend. Nothing beats being bored by endless miles of straight roads as a great opportunity to think about, develop and try out new ideas in your head.

I have been playing with the inverted "Triadtron" circuit: Aikido Cathode Follower & More Triadtron trying to simplify it. Inspired by Nelson Pass brilliant use of nice signal level transformers in simple Zen"ish" amplifiers (BAF2015 - F6 - M2 etc) I hope I can get a nice linear single stage push pull amplifier without any extra gain-devices.

In my circuit above the L1-2 L2-2 is the primary and seconday winding of the Edcor or the Jensen transformer. The secondary should be phase-reversed to the primary.

This is just a simplified schematic to show the general principle. There is no bias-circuitry in my schematic above. I would prefer depletion-mode devices (SIT) for the most simple and DC stable circuit possible, but it is doable with normal enhance mode devices too.

I have not seen this circuit used with solid state devices. Any comments or suggestions?!?
Is it worth testing?

Cheers,
Johannes

Last edited by Circlomanen; 8th May 2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 8th May 2016, 03:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

TRIADTRON-TRANSFORMER-PP2.png

A little more complete circuit. R9 and R4 should be potentiometers. I just guessed the value of those resistors. I don't know how to simulate transformers yet, so this is just a drawing at the moment.

Cheers,
Johannes
Old 8th May 2016, 03:17 PM   #3
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

from simple glance , function seems exactly same as Papa's Mu stage , ACA for example?

when lower half is opened , upper one is closing
Old 8th May 2016, 04:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
from simple glance , function seems exactly same as Papa's Mu stage , ACA for example?
It is similar, but there are also differences.

The MU-follower senses the current through the load and will react to the reactivity of the loudspeaker. The Triadtron senses the current through the resistor below the active main gain-device. The normal non transformer Triadtron seems to have more gain, less distortion and a higher damping factor then a MU-follower drain-loaded common source amplifier - all else being the same.

I have built and tested several Triadtron amps and they are quite nice.

This is just an idea I want to explore. I want more power from my single 28 volt power supply and my IRFP7430. They are real fun devices. I can not even imagine them in a powerful pushpull amplifier. I have been considering a F6 kind of circuit, and it might be much better in every way. I just like experimenting with fun ideas.

Cheers,
Johannes
Old 8th May 2016, 06:56 PM   #5
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlomanen View Post
I just like experimenting with fun ideas.
That's what we're here for.

Hide this!Advertise here!