diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   Pass Patent 5,343,166 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/28949-pass-patent-5-343-166-a.html)

Michael Rothacher 25th February 2004 02:18 PM

Pass Patent 5,343,166

Mr. Pass: In figure 4 of this patent, which current source is the high current one? Could the alternative bias path be a resistor (or a lightbulb) or is that too low impedance?

Thanks for your time!:idea:

Mike

Michael Rothacher 25th February 2004 03:28 PM

I'm still trying to work some lightbulbs into that circlotron. This could be the trick...

Nelson Pass 25th February 2004 07:00 PM

Re: Pass Patent 5,343,166

Quote:

Originally posted by mrothacher
Mr. Pass: In figure 4 of this patent, which current source is the high current one? Could the alternative bias path be a resistor (or a lightbulb) or is that too low impedance?
1) I don't remember, and my only copy of the full patent is
in a frame.

2) Yes, but a CCS is better and more efficient, properly done.

GRollins 25th February 2004 09:34 PM

The way I read it, the current above and below the output (95 in Fig. 4) must balance at zero signal input. With that in mind, the lower current source (101) must carry current sufficient to match the upper current source (97), plus a smaller amount for the cascode device (91).
Assuming that I've got all that right, 101 is the larger current source, but not necessarily by a whole lot.
There's still a net savings in dissipation, however, because the heavy current in the circuit above the output line (95) isn't covering the full rail voltage.
Asymmetrical rails, anyone? That could lead in a whole 'nother direction. Might be fun.
A low Z path (i.e. a light bulb) around the output MOSFET (87) would effectively short--or at least draw off a large portion of--the intended output.
Light bulbs in a Circlotron? How about as emitter/Source/cathode resistors?

Grey

Michael Rothacher 26th February 2004 08:17 PM

Thank you both.

I had always (wrongly) assumed this patent was related to the Aleph 0.

Looking at Aleph 0 schematic:

Could the Aleph 0 be thought of like a power op amp with a big pull-down resistor? If so, I wonder if this would work with something like ZV5? Just pondering out loud. Thanks again.

Mike

GRollins 26th February 2004 11:22 PM

Ahem...
Who says this patent couldn't relate to Alephs?

Grey

Michael Rothacher 26th February 2004 11:58 PM

Hi Grey:

I read in an NP post somewhere that he's never employed this patent in a commercial product. I took that to mean that it is not employed in the A0.

...now how about my giant pulldown resitor idea (analogy)?:bigeyes:

lumanauw 27th February 2004 12:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Would it be the device 87 is 2SK1380 and the device 97 is the 7A Tango transformer?

Mark A. Gulbrandsen 27th February 2004 01:25 AM

Hey that schematic looks like some of the old SAE's that I used to repair......! I think this guy is in the wrong forum...thats definately not an Aleph... Looks more like a vintage Bongornio to me(spelling?).

Magura 27th February 2004 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark A. Gulbrandsen
Hey that schematic looks like some of the old SAE's that I used to repair......! I think this guy is in the wrong forum...thats definately not an Aleph... Looks more like a vintage Bongornio to me(spelling?).

Im glad to hear that this schematic dosnt have anything to do with Aleph, cause i spent quite a bit of time trying to figure where the resemblence were :D with no succes :xeye:

Magura:)