Nakamichi PA-7 and PA-7AII - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2016, 12:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Nakamichi PA-7 and PA-7AII

What is the difference between these two?
Old 12th February 2016, 09:23 PM   #2
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

The PA-7 mk11 has a different input stage which is not Mr.Pass's original design I believe. The output stage is the same.

When I did comparisons I chose the original version as being the better sounding.

Jam
Old 12th February 2016, 11:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam View Post
The PA-7 mk11 has a different input stage which is not Mr.Pass's original design I believe. The output stage is the same.

When I did comparisons I chose the original version as being the better sounding.

Jam
Thanks. That's what I want to know.
Old 4th March 2016, 08:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam View Post

Jam
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

At one time I owned two of each (four at the same time). I compared these amps on very revealing and demanding speakers of difference designs. B&W 801's as well as full range electrostatics. The mkii version clearly out performed the first version. The first version would monetarily shutdown when over driven. Less than a second but clearly noticeable reduction in volume. Sounded like the amp runs out of steam but what others said was the protection circuit was too sensitive. For this reason the mkii version sounded more powerful. Also the incorrect caps C101 & C102 were corrected in the mkii version which gave it better bass response.

Some of what I just reported might not be noticeable if you don't drive the amp hard.

Last edited by Mercury3; 4th March 2016 at 08:07 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!